My online journal.

Monday, April 30, 2007

Feast or famine

I blog nothing for a week and then I can't stop!

And speaking of feasts:

I made Chicken Helmets last night. "Helmets" is what Joel calls any small, individual-sized portion of food. I've made mini-meatloaves that he called "meat helmets" and there was once something called "pork helmets" but I don't remember what that recipe was about.

I invented these chicken helmets, so take this with a grain of salt:

I took about 15 small corn tortillas, sprayed both sides with olive oil, and then tucked them individually into muffin tins (I kind of had to fold them... not so pretty, but effective). I baked them, empty, at about 375 for maybe 15 minutes? and then took 'em out when they were nice and crispy and holding their shape.

Then I mixed some cooked, chopped chicken (it had been cooked with garlic and some spices and artichokes, for extra flavor and saltiness) with a can of cream of chicken soup, 1/2 a soup-can of milk, maybe 1/2 cup lite sour cream, and maybe 1.5 cups of frozen peas. And some ground pepper. Then I spooned that mezcla into each little mini-taco-shell and topped each with one frozen tater tot. Baked about 25 minutes at 350 and they were so ultra tasty! They were easy for Ed to tear apart, and Lucy liked holding the little "cup" in her hands. Sooo... chicken helmets! AKA little individual tater-tot hotdishes. There you go. No charge. ;)

1 comment:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

You are so creative with your cooking! I'm so impressed. Wish I could eat tortillas, though I'm more of a flour than corn tortilla girl, myself. Hm. Wonder if I could modify that somehow....

-Alison
blog.alisonstrobel.com