My online journal.

Friday, April 13, 2007

Broadway Musicals for Dummies?

My friend Becky asked me to put together a CD of some songs from musicals for her. WELL! It didn't all fit on one CD. I made her 4 CDs. And if I do say so myself, it's a really good selection of music.

So... would you like a copy of Meg's little showtunes primer? I'll burn ya one (I mean, four). Here's the playlist, if you're interested. I could sub out songs if desired -- these are just sort of my favorites... for one reason or another.

DISC ONE

1776
1. The Lees of Old Virginia
2. But, Mr. Adams
3. Mama Look Sharp

Anything Goes
4. Friendship
5. Anything Goes
6. Blow, Gabriel, Blow
7. Be Like the Bluebird

Bombay Dreams
8. Bombay Dreams
9. Shakalaka Baby

Cats
10. Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats
11. Macavity
12. Memory

Chicago
13. And All That Jazz
14. Mr. Cellophane
15. Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag


DISC 2

Children of Eden
- Let There Be
- Father's Day
- Generations
- In Whatever Time We Have

A Chorus Line
- I Can Do That
- One

Dreamgirls
- Steppin' To the Bad Side
- And I Am Telling You...
- One Night Only (disco version)

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat
- Jacob & Sons
- Go, Go, Go Joseph

Les Miserables
- Stars
- Who Am I?
- Red & Black
- One Day More
- On My Own


DISC 3

Miss Saigon
1. The Heat is on in Saigon
2. Why God Why?
3. I Still Believe
4. I'd give my life for you
5. Bui Doi

The Phantom of the Opera
6. The Phantom of the Opera
7. The Music of the Night

Avenue Q
8. What Do You Do With A B.A. In English?/It Sucks To Be Me
9. If You Were Gay
10. Everyone’s A Little Bit Racist
11. For Now

Rent
12. Seasons of Love
13. Will I?
14. I'll Cover You

Spamalot
15. Knights of the Round Table
16. Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

Sweeney Todd
17. The Ballad of Sweeney Todd


DISC 4

Thoroughly Modern Millie
1. Not For The Life Of Me
2. Thoroughly Modern Millie
3. How the Other Half Lives
4. The Speed Test
5. Jimmy
6. Forget About the Boy

West Side Story
7. Jet Song
8. Cool
9. Tonight
10. America
11. Quintet
12. A Boy Like That/I Have a Love

Wicked
13. Overture/No One Mourns The Wicked
14. The Wizard And I
15. What Is This Feeling?
16. Popular
17. One Short Day
18. Defying Gravity
19. For Good

3 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Wow, you are a true musical connoisseur--or however that's spelled. I haven't even heard of some of those musicals! So what would you say youre favorite musical of all time is?

-Alison
blog.alisonstrobel.com

CarolSue said...

Sign me up, if you really don't mind burning them for me. I'll supply you with the cd's at next playdate.

You know I rely on you, solely, to provide culture in my life, right? :)

Heather said...

Oh, this is a fun project!

My Musical Highlights Mix
1. We Dance - Once on this Island
2. Schmuel Song - The Last Five Years
3. Astonishing - Little Women
4. You Can't Stop the Beat - Hairspray
5. Mama Says - Footloose
6. Trip to the Library - She Loves Me
7. Sit Down You're Rockin' the Boat - Guys and Dolls
8. I Got Lost in His Arms - Annie Get Your Gun
9. 42nd Street - 42nd Street
10. Johanna - Sweeney Todd

This would just be Volume I, of coarse.