My online journal.

Monday, March 17, 2008

They were scones!

This morning I made cranberry scones for the parents with whom I sit and wait during Lucy's dance class. I made them mostly because I had such a horrible time getting my three charges out of the building last week that I'd required backup from at least two of them, plus one of their own kids. Yeesh.

The scones were great, and they are soooo easy to make. Not healthy, mind you.

SCONES

Mix in a bowl:
2 c. flour
1/3 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda


Now take one stick of frozen butter. Grate it, using the large holes of a grater, into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix (lightly; toss, don't mash) this all up with your hands until it looks like very coarse cornmeal.

Stir in 1/2 c. raisins or craisins.

In a small, bowl, whisk together:
1/2 c. sour cream (I use light; it seems to make no difference)
1 large egg
And dump that into the bigger bowl. With a fork, stir everything together until large clumps form. Press the mixture against the sides of the bowl until it's kind of one large ball. Place the ball on a lightly-floured surface and pat into an 8" disc. Sprinkle 1 tsp. sugar on top. Cut the disc into eight triangles. Arrange the triangles about 1" apart on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 13-15 minutes, until the edges are barely goldenish.


They were a hit, but I might mention that we did NOT have an easier time getting to the car today. I have no idea what I did wrong. Jean was there to witness; I gave them warnings, I gave Lucy choices, I didn't scream or hit them. It was terrible and embarrassing. *sigh*

I think I aftergott to post Ed's first complete sentence. I asked him what a seal says, and he thought for a second, and said, very slowly:

"A seal says... oooourp oooourp oooourp."

He's not Shakespeare, but he's mine!

Oh, speaking of Ed, he was under the kitchen table this afternoon while Will was eating lunch, and all of a sudden Will started screaming. I couldn't figure out why until I looked down and saw a nice neat row of tooth marks on Will's bare left foot. And Ed, with a big "I'm-a-stinker" smile on his face. Ed had taken a giant bite of Will's foot. My stars and garters! What on EARTH made Ed think that was a good idea!?!

3 comments:

Jara said...

I have recently wanted to make scones and your recipie sounds great. Can I substitute frozen (unthawed) berries and still have it turn out?

Meg said...

Hmmm, no, I think you need dried, sweetened cranberries. I don't think fresh/frozen ones would work -- they would be too tart and maybe even too watery?
Try it with raisins maybe.

bridget said...

I am glad to know that I am not alone in trying to get toddlers to ge where you want them to go when you want them to go there. Not that I am happy to hear your frustration, just glad to know that I am not alone. Ryan thinks it is very funny to run the opposite way of wherever we are headed, and he finds great delight in running straight out into the middle of street! It is not such a crisis at home since we live on a cul-de-sac, but it terrifies me everywhere else!