My online journal.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Spaghetti night

Save one "brush-up" rehearsal on Wednesday the 26th, High School Musical is over for me! There are still 3 more shows left, but we'll be in Chicago for Tom Hawbecker's wedding so I will miss them. It makes me really kind of sad -- this was the first whole show I'd choreographed, and what a wonderfully talented and fascinating group of kids! I'm so proud of them and of what we accomplished.

I hope I'll be able to audition for a show sometime before I get too ancient to dance anymore. So much about musical theatre just makes my heart sing. But softball season starts soon, plus I'm going to be nursing butt-bone-bruises from biking next to Jean as she trains for Grandma's on June 21.

We had spaghetti (well, technically rotini -- the kids have an easier time picking rotini up and eating it) for dinner tonight. But here's what I did:

Cooked up 1 lb. italian sausage, along with about a cup of chopped onions and some chopped green pepper.

Drained the meat on paper towels.

Put the meat back in the pot, along with a jar of ready-to-go pasta sauce (I always pick a kind without sugar), a can of diced tomatoes, and a few gobs of dried basil, oregano, bay leaf, garlic, and I even used some rosemary this time.

See, adding in the extra tomatoes makes a bigger batch so I can freeze some of the sauce for later. And it makes it extra vegetably and it feels less processed. I think my mom always makes sauce from scratch and I even think it's really easy, but I tend to have to fret over it more if I go all the way to scratch. When I do it with the jarred sauce, I feel like I'm less likely to goof it up somehow.

I should have had a salad on the side or some garlic bread, but we just chanked on some leftover cut-up fruit, mostly because I forgot to buy lettuce. I really hate lettuce, even though the kids kind of dig on it. We're still trying to eat our way out of the ginormous bags of carrots-celery-broccoli-cauliflower from Ed's birthday last weeked, so that's going to have to step in for salad this week. Joel and I did each get a skimpy glass of Three-Buck Shiraz, so that made it a perfect meal.

Joel's watching August Rush and I decided I couldn't stomach Robin Williams on a Sunday night. Actually, this coming week ought to be cake for me -- it's spring break for Mahtomedi schools so I have no afterschool theatre class and no show choir. What on earth will I do with my time?

I did get a new hair cut last week, but I can't get a photo of myself to save my life. It's real short.

I guess I'm going to bed now. Happy Holy Week!

1 comment:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Robin Williams is in August Rush?!

I love all the recipes you're posting; thanks for the inspiration. I might actually use one one of these days. :)

I want to see a photo of the hair!!!!!