My online journal.

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Fine, upstanding, patriotic, healthy, normal American boy

Lucy's watching some totally bizarre 1999 remake of Bye Bye Birdie with Vanessa Williams as Rosie and Jason Alexander as Albert. My friend Trish is cleaning out her massive VHS collection and we are reaping the benefits, being in receipt of never-watched copies of Annie Get Your Gun, Burn the Floor, The Fantasticks, On The Town, and a couple others. It's like Christmas for me! I love stealing choreography from these old shows.

The thermometer on my gazebo says 54. Fifty-four! We might have to eat dinner outside tonight.

I pulled a muscle in my neck/back while shampooing this morning and I am really suffering. Advil didn't even make a dent in the pain. Thanks Mom for my new Dr. Beans neck-roll! I have been reheating it all morning and it's making my life bearable.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! to Alison and Dan on the birth of their new baby girl, Penelope! I had phoned Alison (and I NEVER phone Alison) after ECFE today to see how she was doing now that she's past her due date (and also to ask for her midwife's info for a friend of a friend), and lo and behold her husband answered and he sounded a little harried and assumed I'd somehow cosmically heard that they'd had a baby! I didn't ask for any details but it sounded like everyone was doing well. They had planned a homebirth VBAC and it sure sounded like that's what had occurred -- I'm sure they'll post as soon as they're able.

Jane (and Nicole) Watson's Pot Roast recipe
A couple modifications I made: I used a whole package of the onion soup mix (actually, the equivalent thereof -- I homemake onion soup mix in bulk), and I also added maybe 3/4 tsp ground black pepper to the mix.


Jessica Seinfeld's Mac and Cheese 1 recipe
(from Deceptively Delicious)

(I doubled it)

1.5 cups uncooked elbow macaroni -- cook to make about 3 cups.

Cooking spray
1 Tb olive oil
1 Tb flour
1/2 c. skim milk
1/2 c. butternut squash or cauliflower puree
1.5 c. shredded cheddar cheese
(It calls for low-fat cheese but I am morally opposed to low-fat cheese)
4 oz. reduced-fat or nonfat cream cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
(I used cayenne pepper instead)
1/8 tsp. pepper

Coat a large saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add the oil, then the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture resembles a thick paste but has not browned (1-2 minutes).

Add the milk and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3-4 minutes. Add the vegetable puree, cheddar, cream cheese, and seasonings, and stir until the cheese is melted and the sauce is smooth. Stir in the macaroni and serve warm.



I have tried SEVERAL mac and cheese recipes and I'm telling you, making the roux at the beginning is the secret to success. The Barefoot Contessa recipe I have (and adore) does the same thing (except with butter, which is why Ina Garten is a goddess).

1 comment:

Dan said...

Hey Meggie! (That's what I have decided to call you for now) Thanks for the congrats.

Actually, you may not know it, but you called my cell phone, not Alison's. Of course, that is fine. You are always welcome to call mine too, just letting you know. Mine is the "350" one and Alison's is the "307" one. Either one will reach us if the other doesn't - usually.

Things are going great here, and you can read more about it at my blog and then especially Alison's. Check 'em out if you haven't yet.

Tell your guy I said hi. We really miss you guys and wish we were all closer. We enjoyed your visit and it was nice to hangout with Joel.