My online journal.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Never not the best!

Happy Saturday! I wanted to share my recipe for "Yellow Goodness." I found this recipe in an issue of Cooking Light magazine and it seemed like a boring and weird combination but I modified it a little and every single time I make it, I say to myself: BLAZES this is good! Why don't I make this more often?

And Jean says to herself (or to me, if I'm around): This is never not the best food ever.

And Joel, Lucy and Ed don't say anything because they are too busy gorging themselves.

It's so easy. And surprisingly tasty. Try it for yourself and see!


YUMMY YELLOW GOODNESS

- Take 1 cup uncooked rice (I use brown, but any rice will be lovely) and cook it however you would normally cook rice, omitting all salt and fat but adding 1/4 tsp turmeric. It is worth it to buy turmeric just for this recipe; I do.

While the rice is cooking:

Brown 1 lb. italian sausage (you could use turkey sausage); remove from pan and dump on top of a couple paper towels, to absorb excess fat.

Add 4 cups frozen corn and 2 cloves minced garlic to the pan (which should still be "dirty" from cooking the sausage) -- cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

Stir in:
cooked rice
cooked sausage
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
a couple dashes of salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
(I have used "fresh grated" as well as the canned stuff and honestly, it's amazing either way)

Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, another minute or two until thoroughly heated. Garnish with minced fresh cilantro if desired (I almost always skip that).



And here's my menu for the coming week:

- Ham roast (I'm not sure what, exactly, this is -- Joel's sister Julie gave us a "fresh ham roast" wrapped in butcher paper and I'm just going to cook it and eat it with some mac & cheese and jubbs on the side.)

- Italian Rice Stir Fry (another Jean-proof recipe that's usually a hit with the whole fam)

- Nicole Watson's Pot Roast (I haven't ever made this yet but I have heard great things!)

- White Bean & Chicken Chili (because winter ain't over yet!)

4 comments:

bridget said...

Ooh, that sounds yummy. If I have turmeric in my cabinet I am going to try that tonight!

Katers said...

Hey, I want to try the Italian rice stir-fry, give us the load-down on that too!

Oh, and this sounds right up my alley, rice, corn and sausage!

Heather said...

Never in my life have I heard of turmeric.

I have started planning meals for the week - a new concept to me. It's my attempt at organization and saving $ at the grocery store by buying things we don't need/use. I will try some of your recipes - once I figure out what turmeric is! Thanks for sharing.

Great to see you at the show. You are the coolest-looking mom I know!
The kids were fantastic! Really, it's the best and cleanest dancing I've seen by Ashland kids. Way to go! I can tell that they want to work hard for you.

Meg said...

Hey Heather! It was soooo good to see you and all your menfolk on Saturday. Thank you for the compliments -- I am extremely proud of those kids, and your opinion means a LOT to me.

Turmeric is basically just for yellow coloring. But it's not a dye; it might have some flavor to it, since it is marketed as a "spice." The original recipe called for saffron instead. I own saffron, too, but I can't make it DO anything for me. The turmeric turns all the rice a gorgeous yellow color, so it kind of blends in, visually, with the corn -- so when you take a big bite, the sweetness of the corn juxtaposed with the chili powder is a wonderful surprise. I dunno. I've probably spent too much time thinking about this dish, but I swear it's something magical.

PS Kate, I KNOW! Not a white food in the whole thing! Italian-rice stir-fry will probably be MUCH later in the week, but that's a great recipe too.