And Jean says to herself (or to me, if I'm around): This is never not the best food ever.
And Joel, Lucy and Ed don't say anything because they are too busy gorging themselves.
It's so easy. And surprisingly tasty. Try it for yourself and see!
YUMMY YELLOW GOODNESS
- Take 1 cup uncooked rice (I use brown, but any rice will be lovely) and cook it however you would normally cook rice, omitting all salt and fat but adding 1/4 tsp turmeric. It is worth it to buy turmeric just for this recipe; I do.
While the rice is cooking:
Brown 1 lb. italian sausage (you could use turkey sausage); remove from pan and dump on top of a couple paper towels, to absorb excess fat.
Add 4 cups frozen corn and 2 cloves minced garlic to the pan (which should still be "dirty" from cooking the sausage) -- cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
a couple dashes of salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (I have used "fresh grated" as well as the canned stuff and honestly, it's amazing either way)
Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring constantly, another minute or two until thoroughly heated. Garnish with minced fresh cilantro if desired (I almost always skip that).
And here's my menu for the coming week:
- Ham roast (I'm not sure what, exactly, this is -- Joel's sister Julie gave us a "fresh ham roast" wrapped in butcher paper and I'm just going to cook it and eat it with some mac & cheese and jubbs on the side.)
- Italian Rice Stir Fry (another Jean-proof recipe that's usually a hit with the whole fam)
- Nicole Watson's Pot Roast (I haven't ever made this yet but I have heard great things!)
- White Bean & Chicken Chili (because winter ain't over yet!)