My online journal.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Anybody out there?

Hey everybody. You ever have one of those days/weeks where it feels like nobody likes you? I do sometimes. It helps to know there are people who love you. It helps to know that God still loves you. It does NOT help when your two children scream "DON'T TALK TO ME!! BAD MOMMY!!" over and over. And over.

How am I supposed to teach my kids anything when they immediately realize they're about to be taught something, and proactively buck and revolt? And, oh, that's right, they're 4. And 3. It's going to be a loooong 15ish more years.

Joel took the little darlings outside this afternoon for some yard-time. It was chilly but sunny and they all had their coats off by the time they came in around 4:30. He dug out our veggie-garden area a little, expanding it for this year's attempts. Here's what's on the docket (or the order form, as it were):

tomatoes
zucchini
pumpkins
snap peas
radishes
strawberries
raspberries
bell peppers
basil
...and the much-discussed apple tree(s). Sure sounds ambitious for someone with a black thumb! I don't have terribly high hopes, but I think it will be fun trying. If anybody is growing anything different and wants to trade, I'm totally open (especially the radishes; last year we had 50 times the number of radishes we could eat).

ECFE is on spring break this coming week, which means an entire week of no ECFE. And from the looks of it, we'll be lucky to hit 40 degrees all week. Sob! Whatever will I do with myself!?

Now I'm going to go try to convince Joel that we should watch the women's figure skating championships on TV. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

I love you!! And you're not a bad mommy. I have seen you in action and you are a good, good mommy.

Your garden sounds wonderful! I can't wait to get to Colorado and start my square foot garden. And I just read on the Colorado AP forum that some mamas there have apple trees, which gives me hope that maybe I can grow one too. You'll have to tell me how it goes for you so I can learn from your mistakes--from one black thumb to another. ;)

And the whole freaking out when you try to teach them thing? If that continues, there's a book called (I think)--"You Can't Make Me (But I Can Be Persuaded)".

bridget said...

We love you too!!

Hey guess what? Dan and I are planning a camping trip to...MN! We are coming this summer and we'd love to stop by and check out your garden!
Dan really wants to catch a game before the Twins leave the Metrodome. We'll just have to come up again when they get their new stadium!

Rebecca said...

Hey Meg,
Adam wants your radishes! Umm...

Also, we might be interested in an apple tree. But maybe that time already passed???

AND...I fully expect to have a garden. But I'm not sure that we will move in time to plant one. Although I could probably do it before moving in... hmmm.