My online journal.

Monday, April 07, 2008

Jumping into Monday

We'll see how this goes: my time today will be limited.

We had a lovely weekend: on Saturday the weather was perfect and beautiful and Jean ran almost 16 miles and I rollerbladed next to her. We were SO exhausted when we were done, but it was that really good exhausted, where you feel like you've really earned the Potbelly sandwiches and malts we got afterward.

When I got home, Joel grilled up some cheeseburgers for us while the kids played in the yard and I sat in my new doorway with my feet dangling into the backyard. It felt great.

And what felt even greater was the downpour we had on Sunday, when we didn't feel bad at all for spending much of the day slouching around and watching TV and baking banana bread.

Except I've got this NASTY cold, like I haven't had in years. It's rotten, and I continue to be astounded by the sheer quantity of snot one human nose can produce. Icko.

Despite that, my first dance class last night went swimmingly! I had 12 or 13 "students" including Joel, Julie, and Jamie, about eight Ashland kids, and one of their moms. I am hoping for MORE MOMS (and/or dads!) to show, and I am hoping my nervousness will abate with each class.

The class will continue this Sunday night, April 13, 7-8:30 PM, at the MCC. I can't wait!

I made my mom's enchiladas last night, to raves from the crowd. It's a great recipe because, through it, you learn to make your own cream-of-chicken "soup" which is, I promise you, your back-pocket token to whatever you want. It's also great because it tastes really, really good and has tons of variations.

Mom Ryan's Enchiladas

Cook up a few chicken breasts and then shred or cut into bite-size pieces.

Cook up some onions, and/or green peppers, and/or leave them raw. (This time I just used raw, chopped green onions.)

Spray or otherwise grease up a rectangular casserole dish.

Lay a bunch of tortillas flat on a work surface. I might use about 7 or 8 tortillas, but it depends on the size of you pan and the size of your tortillas. I have JUST started finding whole-wheat tortillas at Rainbow and I highly recommend them.

In each tortilla, in a line down the middle, place:

- About 1/4 c. cooked chicken
- Some of the onion/green pepper mixture
- Some shredded monterey jack, colby, or cheddar cheese (swiss would also probably be delicious)
- Some canned black beans (these are not part of Mom's original recipe but I really like the ones that are packaged with jalapeño peppers and a bit of lime. Yumm!!)
(I have also added, on various occasions: shredded carrots or zucchini, diced tomatoes, some prepared salsa, chopped avocados -- whatever!)

Roll up each tortilla and lay 'em all snug up against each other in a nice row in the greased casserole dish.

In a sauce pan, melt 1/4 c. butter. (What I did this time was cook the onions and green pepper in this butter for about 10 mintes, and then carry on from here:) Sprinkle with 1/4 c. flour. Whisk and stir over low heat for a few minutes. Slowly add 2 c. chicken broth (I just did 2 c. water with 2 tsp chicken bouillon) and cook over medium heat until thick. (At this point in the recipe Mom says you can also add in some chopped green peppers and/or jalapeño peppers.)

Take the pan off the heat and stir in:

- 1 c. sour cream or plain yogurt (at this point, if you haven't added any of the vegetables, you have officially created your own cream-of-chicken soup, thereby liberating yourself from Campbell's forever! Viva la revolución!)
- 1 can diced green chilies

Pour this soupy stuff over the rolled tortillas in the pan. Bake at 375 about 20 minutes, then throw some more shredded cheese on the top and bake 5 minutes more. So yummy!

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I want to know where and what brand the black beans are - they sound delish and cub had no such thing last night in the canned aisle. hmmmm