My online journal.

Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Beans and stuff

I held on to my patience *almost* until naptime today, which is better than usual for an ECFE day, and now it IS naptime and the bickering has ceased and the sun is shining. Hooray!

This story is tearing me apart today. Thank the Lord for the healthy children in your life.

Nikki, I made a special trip into the recycling volcano to retrieve the can. And here are the beans:


That would be "Kuner's of Colorado" brand -- often available in the Ethnic Food aisle at Rainbow and probably Cub as well?

And that's Lucy in the background, checking to see whether Baby Will finished his PBJ at lunch today.

And a couple extra pics for you:

A brief afternoon visit last Friday from the Witt-Vanorny twins. Ed really wanted to "carry" Dash.

The sad panda himself in his new bed. Too much "Polar 'Spress," methinks.

Bathtime hijinks. "I sit a potty!"


I'm silly too! Take a picture of ME! Notice ME! Love ME!


Joel snowblowing ON APRIL 1. I'm posting this now because it's supposed to snow enough to accumulate again tomorrow. Horrible, evil, no-good, very-bad weather!! Well at least I'm pretty sure Prince never sang "Sometimes It Even Snows In May." Egads!

And now for my so-good-it-brings-me-to-tears lunchtime favorite:

Curry Chicken Salad
This is one of those sub-and-try-anything recipes -- because I have different stuff on hand at all times. You could easily sub regular onion for the green, and/or celery for the green pepper. I think I may have added shredded coconut once, too. This recipe is truly suspiciously similar to the Bombay Dip I make for special occasions -- but I love this particular combo of flavors. Joel and the kids won't touch it, of course, so it's MINE ALL MINE.

- 1 cup or so cooked (and cut-up or shredded) chicken
- 1/2 bunch small-diced green onions (both green and white parts -- I thought adding that line was redundant but then I started hearing of people using ONLY one part or the other and I of course find that terribly wasteful and silly but what the heck, it takes all kinds)
- 1/2 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 jar mango chutney (I tend to use Major Grey's which is NOT a brand, as you might think, but apparently a "style" of mango chutney. Whatevs. Mango chutney keeps forever in the fridger so you can keep the other half of the jar to make it again when the craving hits.)
- 1/4 c. craisins (or golden raisins, or halved grapes are really yummy)
- 1/4 c. slivered almonds (or chopped walnuts or pecans)
- 1 or 2 tsp. curry powder
- mayonnaise and/or sour cream to make it all stick together

Stir it all up in a bowl and then glob on a piece of toasted bread. Or eat it with a spoon and lick the bowl. Mmmmmm.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Cool thanks for the picture :)

Heather said...

I went to that website you mentioned at the beginning of your blog. What a beautiful, honest and totally heartbreaking story. In the midst of worrying about selling our house, it offers a little perspective.

Your kiddos just keep getting cuter and cuter. You too, Joel! :)

And your family photos are awesome! I would love to get those done someday. I assume Jackson will eventually get to an age where he doesn't hyperventilate with sobs every time we step into a photo studio.

Have a good one. We went to the zoo last weekend to see the zoo babies. Didn't we do that last year? I cannot believe that was a year ago already!