My online journal.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

That rascal Puff

So I'm reading some inane parenting article and the mom writing it quotes one single blasted line from "Puff, the Magic Dragon" and I can't stop the tears.

A dragon lives forever, but not so little boys...

Argh! Gets me every dang time. *SOB!*

I should have it tattooed on my wrist, though, for the dual purpose of 1. making me remember to cling tightly to every day with my kids, and 2. maybe desensitizing that song for me so I don't burst into tears at a mere nine-word string.

*wiping eyes*

Blasted Peter Yarrow.

I sorta aftergott to mention that Ed went in for his 2-year checkup today. He weighs exactly 30 # (75th %) but is, like, 37" tall (which the doc said is "just off the charts"). The doc I'm sure is a very nice lady, but she is a dreadful pediatrician. I feel really terrible for her. She is really, really bad with children. Shockingly so. Easygoing Ed's screams and writhings, which persisted through the entire (blessedly brief) could have been totally avoided with a teensy bit of meet-n-greet and gentle explanation from the doctor.

I made Extra Treaty Parfaits for snack today: plain yogurt (because I read the label of the Yoplait cups I'd been feeding my children and was appalled at the amount of sugar in a 6-oz. cup. Seriously. I think we as moms (and just as people! Who eat!) need to pay WAY more attention to added sweetener in foods. I'm sure my mom is rolling her eyes because she's known this for 30 years, but honestly it is really terrible. I almost couldn't find but one or two kinds of cereal that don't have sugar as the first or second ingredient. And anything that qualifies as "snack food" -- like those NutriGrain bars with the jelly in the middle, that you think might be healthy because they're "made with real fruit" and because they say "Nutri" and, for petey's sakes, "GRAIN" in the title? -- gobs and gobs of sugar. And now back to my parfaits...), cut-up strawberries, and vanilla-almond granola.

Lucy was giving me that look that said "this is the BEST FOOD EVER; why have you withheld it for so long?!" and Ed ate the whole thing in his peculiar, pincer-graspy, can't-decide-whichhanded-I-am kinda way.

For lunch I made quesadillas with whole-wheat tortillas, full-fat cheddar, 1/2 cup pureed sweet potato (it's REALLY delicious with the cheese), 1/2 can diced chilis, about 1/8 c. leftover taco-meat-and-beans, some chopped onions, and some spinach. Surprise surprise, I was the only one who ate it.

Here's what I made for dinner tonight. Warnings/Disclaimers: 1. It's not for the faint of kitchen (labor-intensive and an interesting ingredient mix). 2. I think it's healthy? -ish? 3. The cooking time can vary wildly.

Chicken Saltimboofer

Pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs until pretty darn thin, like, 1/4"? I think mine were more like 1/2". I was lazy. The thinner, the better. Lay in rows, like juicy little bald babies in a nursery.

Cook a small/med diced onion in a pan with some olive oil, about 8 minutes. Add about 10-16 oz. fresh spinach leaves to the pan. Turn heat to low. Toss just until spinach is wilted all the way through.

In a small bowl, beat 2 eggs. Add 1/2 c. Parmesan. Add 1/4 - 1/2 c. EACH of flaxseed meal and wheat germ. (Or sub the granolaey stuff with bread crumbs, but then add some extra shredded mozzarella, provolone, or swiss or something.)

Take some turkey bacon out of the package and lay one piece (cut for length) atop each chicken piece.

Lay some of the spinach mixture atop the bacon.

Spoon some of the egg/bread/cheese mixture atop the spinach.

Roll up each little baby, starting with the pointy end. Secure with toothpicks.

Lay the babies in a greased casserole dish or other oven-safe pan -- try to keep the bulk of the chicken facing up. Salt, pepper, and bake at 350 for (now here's where I went wrong) 25-45 minutes. If you're a tightroller they will take longer. You could also microwave 'em to cook 'em up.

I served these with rice, and oranges on the side. And Joel and I had some vanilla pudding with mini chocolate chips for dessert. And I also stole a Peep.


5 comments:

CarolSue said...

Preachin' to the choir... try joining a 12-week weight loss challenge and shop for snacks or cereal or salad dressing or bread that isn't loaded with sugar. I hear what you're screamin'.

Puff makes me cry, too. As does Charlotte. So much so that I can't watch it with the girls. Stupid spider.

Hey - you aren't talking about Dr. Gendreau at Aspen, are you?

Meg said...

NOO! I *heart* Dr. Gendreau! Or at least I did, the last several times we've seen her. I also have really liked Dr. Mayrand. No, it's some new, third doc they have. Middle-age, darkish hair, small features? Ick.

Meg said...

Oh! I also forgot to mention that the doc recommended a lead-screening and a hemoglobin test (for anemia) and after our visit with her I couldn't stand the thought of getting Eddie poked even more, especially since I was lugging three kids, so we skipped out on both tests. Oof. I really hope I didn't make a giant mistake.

Katers said...

If you live in an older home (prior to 1960) you really should get Ed tested for lead. Based on the stuff I see on a daily basis, I'd do it just to know he isn't picking up anything from your house (especially after your big remodel).

CarolSue said...

Oh - good! I love Dr. G, too... so I was going to be really bummed if you had a bad experience with her. I'll remember to watch out for this other doc, though.

We did the lead screening and hem. test with Eve - and it was horrible. We had to wait FOREVER in the lab, then they were so retarded about drawing blood from a then-1-year-old that they botched it all up, didn't put the bandages on correctly, she was screaming, and we both ended up with blood all over us. Sorry - that doesn't help convince you that you should do it. But you probably should since you live in an older house, like Kate said. Just be prepared - maybe go in just for that test so it doesn't take so god-awful long following a check-up. Eve's results came back just fine... just so you know. :) And as you can see, she is not permanently scarred from the experience.