My online journal.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Now if only I could wrap my brain around the definition of "credulous"...

Well, I'll be honest: I'm in no mood whatsoever to post. I'm feeling a *little* less boogery, but Ed's coughing in his sleep in the next room and it is the SADDEST little cough ever. Poor little dude. Joel went to go try to find the humidifier to keep Ed's pathetic little lungs moistened.

Today was my last Tuesday-after-school-theatre class. The kids did an 8-minute medley of totally random Broadway tunes. The kids did VERY well. They all sang and danced the whole time and each one had a line to say. Poor Clara was the only one who totally flubbed her line ... by saying someone else's. I'm sure nobody noticed but me. We had a little reception afterward and the parents and grandparents who came were exceedingly gracious and sweet. It is HILARIOUS to meet little kids' parents and discover *exactly* where they get their smiles, their laughs, their myopia, and/or their eclectic sense of style.

Before the performance I held an abbreviated class with the kids and asked them to say something they liked and something they didn't like about the class. Now, I take this with a huge grain of salt, because they are kids (and sensitive theatrey kids at that) but not one could bring themselves to say anything they didn't like about class! That made me feel happy but also like maybe I was some creepy Stepford teacher who'd inadvertently threatened to pull out their toenails if they dared criticize my methods, or something.

Anyway, the class (and performance!) were lovely, and I am also glad it's over. Onward.


Misheard around my house this evening:

Joel (reading Ed's horoscope): "... make the most of an opportunity. Tonight: A plate."

Me (staring at Joel as though he were the author of this bizarre and cryptic chinaware prediction): "A PLATE?!?!?"

Joel (clarifying): "UP LATE."

Me: Ohhhhh.


Lucy (watching American Idol with me): "Mommy what's his name?"
Me: "David Archuleta."
Lucy (incredulous): "David ENCHILADA!?!?"


I made my mom's spaghetti sauce "recipe" (I use that term lightly) the other night and it was wonderful, as usual.

Mom's Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Brown 1 lb. Italian sausage in a pan, along with:

Diced onions
Diced green pepper (if available)

Drain or blot grease, or whatever.

Add one 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes, or I used a can of whole tomatoes and had Lucy hand-crush them for me. Funnest thing ever, as long as you have reddish countertops.

Add one 14-oz can diced tomatoes (I just used more wholes).

One small can tomato paste.

Garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, parsley, bay leaf -- all to taste. (Mom hates rosemary; I hate parsley; and I think bay leaves are a scam but I still use them.)

I also added a teaspoon of sugar (ostensibly to cut the tomatoes' acid).

Add some water if the sauce looks like it's too thick for your personal tastes (Joel and I like super-thick sauce). I actually also tossed in maybe a cup of bell-pepper puree that I had in the freezer.

I serve with whole-wheat noodles because I think the Ronzoni ones are REALLY good, and I'm on a crazy whole-grain kick.

I also made garlic-cheese bread (butter, minced garlic, and colby-jack plus parmesan, all on sourdough) in the broiler, and I managed not to burn it. Yesss!

Tonight was leftobers (according to Lucy). I had the leftober Archuletas. Mmmm!

6 comments:

Jean said...

Mmm... Leftober Archuletas!!
And you can definitely use the humidifier at my house, since it's actually yours.
And I'm guessing Clara said "He ran into my knife ten times.."
instead of "You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic." (Cell Block Tango was part of the 8-minute medly, right?)

Tendrils said...

Leftover Archuletas! LOL!

I love your blog! Hi to Jean, too! :)

Have a great week! (I'll have to try Ma Ryan's spaghetti sauce, too!) :)

Meg said...

Hi Melissa! I'm so glad you're here!

Jean, yes, but the costumes were a disaster. YOU try fitting black leather thongs and fishnets on a bunch of 8-year-olds!

Anonymous said...

Wait! Hold the saute pan! A teaspoon of sugar is way too much in my spaghetti sauce--Should be no more than 1/4 tsp--just a pinch.

Ma Ryan

Meg said...

Holy buckets, Hell hath frozen over and my mother hath commented on my blog!! I should have known it would be the threat of a sugar OD that would do it.

But ma, I don't think 1/4 tsp. would have any effect whatsoever on that volume of tomatoes. Well maybe. :)

Anonymous said...

Yo Yo Ma. A teaspoon full of sugar makes the speghetti go down. In the most delightful way.

You must know I had to stop a fistfull of "aged" peeps from going into the concoction. Now that would have been a sugar rush.

Fat Daddy JG