My online journal.

Monday, October 02, 2006

What a lovely weekend it was!

I mean, A) the weather was simply gorgeous. Just the perfect fall weekend, but a little warmer than you'd expect. Beautiful.

B) We took the kids to Como Zoo on Saturday. We saw the animals (Lucy had very little interest in the animals, but she loved running around), and we took Lucy on some of the Como Town rides. She took one look at the rides and said "Round and round!" and she was very excited for "Aladdin's Magic Carpet" but when she found out she was going to have to go alone, she got a little teary-eyed. "My scared," she said, very matter-of-factly,* and we moved on to the Teacups. Which she loved. Then I took her on the train. It's so nice that they have some rides where parents can ride too -- it was just a great experience. AND, we discovered, it was the last day of the season! What fortune! We ate a PBJ picnic, did some people-watching, and headed home. I LOVE little outings like that. They remind me so much of my childhood -- only with shorter drive-times. And smaller crowds.

C) We got to hang out with the Curtis family on Saturday night. Dave and Jen were in our birthing class when we had Lucy, so they have a little Mandy who's just about to turn two. The two girls were very cute together and we had a very nice time.

D) Joel got to go golfing(!) with Pat Daly and some Brians, while

E) The Daly girls and Jean and the kids and I got to see the Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday. We sat at, like, Mile 24.5 on Summit Ave. Jean and I each saw someone we knew (she some doctor from her hospital, and me Tasya Rivera who I was on the WSU dance team with like, a million years ago; I am pretty sure I read somewhere she just got married), and us three grownups had one good tearful moment when a husband jumped out of the crowd to cheer on his wife, saying something like "You can DO this, honey!" and it was just such a cool thing to watch.

F) We had a showing(!) last night(!). Amazing. And we have another one tomorrow, which may or may not be the same people. *sigh* I don't know if I'm really ready for this.

G) The Twins Actually Won the Cental Division. I don't think anyone in the entire state can believe it. After ALL THAT. And, (G1!) Joel and I get to go to Game 2 on Wednesday!! Hooray!

*Seriously, I just think she is at such an interesting age. She's not afraid to tell you the exact truth, she isn't afraid of any consequences, and has no sense of shame or deceit. It's so wonderful. And she's so curious... as we were driving around over the weekend, she'd frequently ask whether we were going to Jean's house, or Dee's house, or the doctor. On the way to the Curtis's house, she even asked if we were going to see Paige, her little friend who lives in the same neighborhood. Now, Lucy's been in that neighborhood maybe twice, tops. How on earth did she know that's where we were? Amazing.

Side note: we gave her a Ziploc baggie of Cheerios in the car on Saturday. Instead of getting frustrated about being unable to open the zipper, and instead of asking us to help, she chewed right through a corner of the bag to get the Cheerios out.

P.S. I am in desperate need of a crib bumper for Eddie. Anyone have a cheapo/used one we could borrow for a few months? I am totally unpicky of color/decor. The poor kid just needs something to cuddle up to -- we find him every morning all wadded up against the railings, usually with a limb or two dangling out the side. Help!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a bumper for the crib as long as you dont care about the design. Its not like we are using it.

Let me know if you need me to send it.

Jara

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

What a perfect weekend! After the Twins and the Royals won yesterday, my first thought was: Meg has to be in a state of nirvana. Have a great time on Wednesday!

Meg said...

Now, now, Jara, how do you know that you and I do not happen to have the EXACT same taste in crib bumpers? :)

Thank you, sweets, but I would feel terrible making you dig it out and mail it. You have so much going on! Speaking of which, I am dreadfully aware that I owe you an email and/or phone call. I am so sorry!

Anonymous said...

Meg, It sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! I agree with you that those are the best memories that we can give our children. We go to Madison Zoo which is free, bring a lunch, and just enjoy each other. Good luck with your showings!! Molly

Anonymous said...

Megs,
Okay Noah and I are wondering if he is now taller than Joel. Noah is 6ft.1in. How is the winner?? Maybe if Noah is taller you still have a chance with Eddie being taller! okay sending our love Aunt Denise

Meg said...

Hi Aunt Denise!
Joel insists he is only 5'10" but I think he is at least 5'11". So if Noah is 6'1" he has for sure surpassed Joel. Congrats Noah!
Hey Denise, do you have any photos from the wedding you can send? Pretty please? I would love to see recent pix of everybody!

Anonymous said...

Megs,
Yes, I am getting pictures together to send in the mail. I will send within the next week.It is taking me sometime to get things done so by giving you deadline gives me some accountability. We continue to LOVE your blogs of your fam! okay love aunt denise