My online journal.

Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm in love with a girl

So, maybe it's taken me longer than most moms, but I have fallen madly in love with Lucy. I can't explain it, but when I'm with her I just want to hold her and kiss her cheeks and play with her hair and rub my nose on hers. She's turned into such a little person in the last few months. It's awe-inspiring.

Though maybe it's just the pregnancy hormones, because I've become kind of extra-attached to a lot of things these days, i.e. clementine oranges (or tangerines? what ARE they?), ginger Altoids, the new lamp we got for Gus's room, Joel, and the writing of Augusten Burroughs.

Seriously, though, it's a really cute lamp.

I'm officially in end-stage pregnancy (or "morbidly pregnant," as I prefer)... my hip joints are definitely loosening up in preparation to pass a basketball, and I am having trouble getting comfortable pretty much ever. I tried sleeping Lucy-style last night, "butt up" on my knees with three pillows under my head and chest, and another one under my bottom-area. Not so good. In fact, I haven't the foggiest notion how Lu sleeps that way all night -- my feet fell asleep, for starters, and I felt like my femurs were going to dislocate from my pelvis. Yow.

My constant wakefulness also causes me to remember my dreams, which are increasingly weird. A couple nights ago Steve Martin and I were ballroom-dancing in Boston with a tidal wave about to hit... last night I was at the hospital talking to a mean doctor when my car was towed, and then my company was taken over by this super-"creative" agency where all the women had very short spiky red hair and horn-rimmed glasses and everyone was super-secretive about the work they did... which all took place on a grassy hillside.

Anyway. Got a LOT done this weekend in preparation for Gus's imminent arrival. Lucy spent the weekend with Papa and Grandma Gronau, to the mutual delight of all involved. Joel worked in the basement... we cleaned the house... I packed my hospital bag. And we realized that we are being DESERTED by our family... Gus is due 2/23, right? My sister Jean is going to London 2/23, my aunt Jan is going to China 2/24, and Joel's p's are going to DC on 2/28. We're going to have this baby and be very, very alone. Not that I begrudge anyone a midwinter getaway, but it just makes me a little nervous.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

You'll have to post pics of Gus's bedroom. Did you decide to put him/her in the guest bedroom and keep Lucy's room where it is?

How are you feeling? Infanticipating?

Meg said...

Beck, need I remind you I DO NOT OWN A DIGITAL CAMERA. :) :) :)
Actually, though, Jean does, so maybe I can ask her to come over.

We decided to keep Lucy where she was (in the green room) and move our "guest room" into a corner of the basement, so Gus could have the other main-floor bedroom.

Don't ever say "infanticipating" again. Please tell me you didn't make that up. :) :) :)

I'm feeling good actually! Getting a little waddly, but I slept very well last night. That is SO hit-or-miss these days, so I'm grateful.

Rebecca said...

My MIL says that....

Oh, and I DO feel slightly sorry for you about family leaving town...

Although, since we don't have ANYONE around, I guess we try not to think about it much. :)

Have fun waddling!