My online journal.

Thursday, January 03, 2013

Snow globes and nostalgia

I like it when people remind me to look outside when it's snowing -- because it does look like a snow globe out there. I don't generally care for winter, but it sure is beautiful.

Just dropped the kids off at school for their first day back after break. People complain about the schedule being silly, but I think it's smart to have them go back just for 2 days before tossing a whole week at 'em. It's nice to get them out of the house, certainly.

This morning we had a rehearsal at St. Pascal's for Pirates the musical. I got to meet Emma, my co-director, and she seems lovely. Plus she looks like the Little Mermaid. I think I am really going to enjoy the morning rehearsals -- the kids are subdued and it's only an hour. We did a whole-script read-through and I think it went well. The kids are cute.

Last night I was able to hit the RollerDome for a couple of hours with Stompy and Shug. It wasn't the most killer of workouts but it was nice to skate. I will have to remember to take it easy now that I am feeling better. All-Star tryouts are next week and while I don't technically have to try out (because I won't be able to scrimmage until after the NEXT round of tryouts in April), I'm going to go do what I can. The next few practices are in the concourse which is great because there's typically very little hitting and no scrimmaging -- I just have to remember that I'm really not supposed to be doing jumping or juking yet. RECOVERING FROM INJURY IS SO HARD.

We swung by Grumpy's after the Dome last night and I don't know what it is but something about that place reminds me of derby. In a good, nostalgic way -- like, back in the day when Debs was just starting and we were all just learning together and I had no expectations and derby hadn't broken my heart and body yet. Isn't it weird how a place can remind you of an old feeling like that?

No comments: