My online journal.

Saturday, January 05, 2013

Saturday morning

It's Saturday morning in the Gronau home. Another bright, sunny, cold winter morning -- I don't mind winter too much when it's sunny and I don't have to go anywhere.

Joel went off to have a skating lesson at the Roller Garden in St. Louis Park. He takes his WFTDA (er, MFTDA?) test tomorrow -- skating and possibly a written test (he is SO BAD WITH DETAILS, I swear) -- and he is really nervous. I don't think he has anything to worry about with the skating portion, because it seems like his skills are up to par. He is anxious about the snowplow stop. And he SHOULD be worried about the written test, because he is a dreadful multiple-choice-guesser. Also because he has scarcely glanced at the new rules.

Lucy and Ed are playing with Lincoln Logs in their room and now they are pretending their house burned down. I had a weird dream last night in which someone was shot (by police, I think) right outside our house. Joel and I had watched "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" last night and it destroyed us both -- we were both pretty much sobbing for the last 20 minutes or so. The movie struck me in a few different ways:

1. There was a line at the end:  "I'm even glad to have my disappointment. Which is much better than having nothing." I've been feeling disappointment a lot lately, and I've been having a hard time being grateful for it (or even acknowledging "disappointment" as a THING and not just a residual, intangible, passing cloud).

2. We truly never know what's going on inside other people's hearts. We seldom hear about the Big Things people are carrying around with them and living with and thinking about every day. And once you realize that everyone is the star, the title character, of their own lives, and not just a walk-through/bit part in YOUR life -- once you realize that everyone is a human being, neither good nor bad, but capable of doing and saying things that can build up or tear down -- the easier it is to wrap your mind around differences of opinion and policy. My friend Sherry wrote on Facebook the other day: "...the more people you know and like, the less likely you are to hate anyone." It reminds me of that inspirational quote: "Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle (or, "carrying a heavy burden")." They are. We are. I am. Could we all try to love one another, even in their (and our) flawed, hurting spaces? If we all just thought the word "love" before ever replying or reacting -- how would our world be different?

3. If I say more than this, I think it would be a spoiler, so: I love Sandra Bullock. And I loved what the story did with her character.

OK Lucy's clamoring for peanut-butter toast (and it's time for 2nd breakfast for me) so I'm out. More later!

No comments: