My online journal.

Wednesday, January 02, 2013

I guess I made a new year resolution.

I love the idea of going back, 20 or 40 years from now, and reading what was going on in my life. But guess what? There's no magical journaling fairy that's going to do that for me. And like choosing to exercise and eat healthful foods and put money in savings in hopes of having better long-term life-quality, if this is something I want then I'm going to have to work for it.

Yesterday was January 1, 2013. I'd left Joel alone on NYE for the first time in our 15 years together, and ventured into downtown Minneapolis with Buzz, meeting up with BOoM, Rita, D, Chad, Trudy, Juke and Leethal for some New Year's fun. It was OK. The drag show was, honestly, a bit of a drag (it just doesn't seem like they're putting much effort into anything except their outfits, which were certifiably fabulous). Buzz and I cut out around 1:30 or so, and ran into a dreadful coat-check situation (a messy line with lots of sad, solo, drunk gay men butting in front of the rest of us, punctuated by one cat fight and having some laughs with the girls behind us, one of whom lamented the difficulty of being an African-American lesbian who loves show tunes. You learn something new every day). I got home at 3am on the nose, and despite only having 4 drinks all night, feeling rotten all day yesterday.

Which was fine, really, because all Joel wanted to do was watch movies with the kids all day. We tackled the 2000 John Malkovitch-and-Gerard Depardieu version of Les Miserables (which wasn't bad at all) and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang which, it turns out, I'd never seen.

We took down all the Christmas decos except the tree proper, which unfortunately leaves my cleaning-plans in a bit of limbo until Joel can get the tree and the bins out of the living room -- I hope after he gets home from work tonight. We had Red Robin Salad for dinner and the kids ate a truly-astounding amount of food.

Happy 2013!

No comments: