My online journal.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Band Name of the Day

I've been getting the Pioneer Press every morning for HOW long now? And I just discovered the section where they have the Band Name of the Day. They have a bunch of contributions from readers, generally "cute kid stories" or "hey, I noticed this" kind of thing, and at the very end they take some weird juxtaposition of words and call it the Band Name of the Day. It's usually something like "Hairy Coffee" or "Dancing Interns." I had no point there but I like the feature.

Only three notes from the AI finale tonight:
1. Best part of the night: when the real Clay Aiken came out during the Clay-Aiken-impersonator's song. The expression on the impersonator's face was that of someone who's just won the lotto. And Clay Aiken now looks EXACTLY like Paul McCartney circa 1962, only slightly less heterosexual. Making the impersonator the only one onstage who actually looked like Clay Aiken. It was a bizarre and wonderful moment.

2. I used to think Toni Braxton was super-talented and classy. Like a new Aretha Franklin or somebody. And then she shows up on AI, and she's all mumbling through her song, and wearing that trampy white dress, and grinding on my man Taylor! Toni, I thought you were better than that. I really did. And how weird is it that Taylor sang with Toni Braxton, given Carol's post earlier this week?!??! Like, if Toni and Taylor married, she'd be Toni Braxton-Hicks!! Wild!

3. Taylor Won! Taylor Won! Party time! Excellent! Woo hoo! Woo hoo!


Back to real life. Eddie scared me a little today by eating on one side at 8:30 AM, and then on the other side at 9:30 (breastfeeding nazis: I normally feed one side right after the other but I had to get Lucy out of her booster and entertained with her toys before I could finish). Okay, that wasn't the scary part. He then slept from 10:30 AM until 2:30 PM!! I actually called the doctor, and I knew it was silly, but I just needed to make sure Mr. Rip Van Winkle was all right. Especially with the weird engorgement issues (not mastitis, and all better now) I've been having. So the nurse who called back mentioned a growth spurt, and I said to myself, "Self? Your son's head does look a little bigger." So I whipped out the tape measure. His head grew THREE-QUARTERS OF AN INCH in two weeks. Ow! And really, he does look less pinheady.

So I'm putting Lu to bed tonight and Ed was already in his crib, and Lu said "Ni-night" to Jean and gave her a kiss good night, and then looked around the living room and said "Where Eddie?" And when I said "Well, Eddie already went to bed" she toddled over to his door and peeked in and whispered "Ni-night Eddie!" before heading into her own room. It never occurred to me that it would be important to her to say ni-night to all of her family members. She is so far ahead of me.

Speaking of which, did I mention this? She's counting to ten. I am not joking. I'm sure she doesn't know what the words mean, but she generally gets the sequence right. All right, she usually flips eight and nine. She's always liked nine better anyway.

5 comments:

CarolSue said...

TOO FRICKIN' FUNNY. "We" scare me sometimes. :)

7 grain bread.

bridget said...

So does it make me a bad mom because instead of worrying when Ryan sleeps forever I celebrate? Yikes. Genius children, I believe, run in the family. Yesterday Megan was helping me unload the dishwasher and had 2 forks in one hand and said 2, then she picked up 3 in her other hand and said 3! I was floored!

Nicole said...

I thought the AI finale was really good. I totally agree on points 1 and 2. When Clay came out I was like what is with the hair and could you cake on any more makeup but after a minute I thought it was a really nice change. I didn't really like the spikey thing anyway. Yeah, Toni braxton sucked it up - what was she saying anyway??? Carol, they must have been reading your blog :) Braxton Hicks - that is to weird.

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Egads, that IS a growth spurt! Did I even mention in my blog the fact that Abby slept for SEVEN HOURS in her swing one night? Dan put her in there at 10 and eventually came to bed. I woke up in a panic at 4 thinking, "Why haven't I fed her yet? Crap, she's not awake!" I thought for sure she was dead in there.

Heather said...

When Clay walked out, Peg and I both said, at different locations, "Is that Clay or is that Kevin Werner?"