My online journal.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Wednesday

Just got home from Eddie's fourth and final 5th birthday party -- this was his "school friends" party. We went WAY out on a limb and had it at Wooddale Fun Zone, a skating rink that also has an indoor playground. Eddie had 4 little friends from school, plus the Dalys. It was an excellent deal... SUPER easy... and I think the kids had fun. And I didn't have to cook or clean.

I decided to try to give up sweets/desserts for Lent, and let me tell you that IT'S HARD. Especially when your kid's birthday parties fall in there! I did really well, though, and I have stuck to my rule -- basically, I only eat a dessert my kids have taken and then left unfinished. Fortunately one of Eddie's friends asked me to remove the frosted top of his cupcake SO HE COULD EAT THE BOTTOM. Jackpot. Benjamin, would you care to come over for dessert every night?

The biggest ramification of the no-sweets rule is finding other stuff to eat. I really like to graze, especially when I'm home for the day. Right now it's 9:15pm and I'm making a box of mac-n-cheese because I can't have another cupcake. See? This is not even good for my health. Grr.

Tomorrow's St. Patty's Day and I am THRILLED to get to eat corned beef together as a family. Relaxed family dinners are far too rare around here these days. This week is spring break for all my dance classes, and it could NOT have come at a better time, with Ed's bday party, my newspaper deadline, etc. all landing on this week. It's been a nice week off, and I'll be rejuvenated and ready to start up again on Saturday. And then MY kids' spring break starts, meaning it will be another unusual week next week. I crave change and upheaval, and these 2 weird weeks are good for me.

No comments: