My online journal.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Thank the Lord for the WiFi

... to paraphrase Neil Diamond.

I'm totally obsessed with the Olympics -- I get SO EXCITED every 2 years, and last night during Apolo Ohno's silver-medal win Joel thought I was being attacked by bears or something -- evidently I was making very strange, urgent-sounding noises. Anyway, except I have a hard time focusing because I've got sisters getting married (wheeee!) and trips to the Dells and Amsterdam (WHEEEE!!) on the horizon. All of which involve silly amounts of time on the computer. Also Joel and I keep on trying to squeeze in viewings of Flight of the Conchords Season 2 and The Tudors Season 2 from Netflix. Basically we all stay up very late and my computer is about to catch on fire.

Had a really lovely Valentine's Day weekend -- I just have to say, having kids makes holidays WAY SO MUCH FUN. The kids and I toured Lucy's school on Friday (mostly because Ed is going there next year too, and PreK and K share a classroom, so we have to make a decision on whether the kids will be in the same class, only I hadn't met the other PreK/K teacher yet, nor seen her in action, so I kinda wanted to kill all those birds, plus I hadn't spent too much time getting to know the principal, so I got to do that, too) and the Entire Student Body was crazy-keyed-up for the V-Day celebrations. Every teacher apologized for the wildness of the students, but it was very cute. The other tidbit I got out of the visit is that 6th-graders are GINORMOUS.

Oh, so Valentine's Day! Right, so Lucy was BEYOND excited to give and get Valentines at school. Plus she had 2.5 playdates with friends on Friday, and Eddie got pizza and playdates too... plus the Dalys came over for dinner, and Jean too... and the Olympics started... it's a wonder we didn't all start crying. Oh, wait, we did -- that Morgan Freeman Visa commercial about the Moms would have been the last straw, if it hadn't already been for that video of the luger who was killed. I'm glad NBC isn't showing the video anymore, and yet I am glad I got to see it. Don't get me wrong, it was totally horrible -- but in some respect I feel like I understand more about how quick and terrible it actually was, because I saw it. I don't want to be a gawker -- I can't stand the braking and rubbernecking when there's an accident on the highway, for example -- but seeing the video made me understand the weight of it, more. It made me FEEL more. Well anyway, I think feeling things is good for me.

OK so Valentine's Day. On Saturday Joel took the kids to Menards and then sledding, so I could have some non-child-time. Also good for me. I seriously just need to recharge my batteries -- unglue the kids from my legs, demagnetize their hands from my arms -- by the time the weekend comes around. I got to do that Saturday -- got caught up on BSF, got to go grocery shopping, got to make dinner and an AMAZING blackberry/lime cheesecake (if I do say so, myself). Sunday I was treated to breakfast in bed by my darling husband and sweet, adorable children (who took turns sneaking upstairs to see whether I was awake yet, then padding back down declaring "She's stirring!" -- So. Cute.). We had french toast, nummy coffee, the newspaper, and a grand opening of Valentine cards and gifts from the Bookses. It was glorious. We actually went to church (at St. Pascal's up the street), then hit the mall where I got my makeup done (by MAC -- then I spent an icky amount of money on cosmetics, I think much of it's going back, though I did look good. *shrug* Kids and I rode the Maplewood Mall carousel, then the four of us got linner (late lunch/counts as dinner) at Red Lobster. It was quite affordable; we had a coupon -- and the kids got their crab-leg fix (Lucy has been asking for crab legs every three days since her birthday IN SEPTEMBER). We were able to give our extra coupon to an adorable, ancient couple at the next table, who then complimented us on how well our kids were behaved during the meal. Yessss!! The firstborn in me CRAVES pleasing the elderly.

Joel bought me a generic-brand snuggie as a gift, which I always thought was stupid until I got one and realized how terribly cozy it is. The kids and I like to all cuddle up under it and read books. I'm not completely ready to believe it's anything more than a larger, less-flattering robe, but I sure do like it. He also had the kids buy me some Peeps. I always feel guilty because I'm not so good at buying gifts. I wrote Lucy, Ed and Joel each a lovely long love note, and I told Joel to get another month's membership at the Y... and there was the cheesecake... but I still feel a little like I didn't quite do my part.

I'm pretty sure it's almost midnight, and I've got an early playdate in the AM. Plus it's going to take me a week to wash off all this eye makeup. Good night... go USA!

11 comments:

Heather said...

This was a very satisfying post, thank you! :) Did I miss the announcement about Amsterdam?

And I am with you on the Olympics. I look forward to it so much and love every second of watching it. Did you love the opening ceremony? I did!

Molly said...

You said you have sisters getting married??? I only heard that Jean was engaged I didn't hear about Ellen. When did that happen? How cool!!

I totally agree with you about the Olympics. I love watching them too!

Anonymous said...

Hey Molly.. I wanted to stop this one from spreading.. Ellen is not engaged. I repeat not getting married this time around. Meg was speaking about my sister Julie..
Whew that was a close one... I can just picture the phone at Ray and Les's exploding from calls.

Take care Molly!! Happy Presidents Day!!

BTW-Meg see I do read your posts lover..

JG

Meg said...

OMIGOSH!! Thank you SO much Joel. Ellen would never forgive me. I was indeed referring to Joel's sister Julie. Egads!!

Yes, I loved the opening ceremony. Hard to believe the Beijing one cost 10x as much!!?

Katers said...

Got me on the one too (Ellen). I too am an Olympics Junkie, cannot peel me from the TV, like, I just might miss the one Canadian who emmigrated to Austrailia to keep open his spam business on the mogels, etc. Reminds me of Izzy's birth, because I spent most of the night up with her during her first few weeks and the 06 Olympics were on!

Heather said...

Had to reply to "Katers." My son Jackson was born on Jan. 15th, 2006 so I have fond memories of those winter olympics, too. I remember being up late at night watching them.

The Morrows said...

Too funny--I remember watching Olympics with Abby when she was born at the end of '05! I remember her being transfixed whenever hockey was on. Just like her father.

Um, Meg? You're going to Amsterdam!?!?!?! SO FREAKING JEALOUS!

Meg said...

And I, my darlings, remember watching the '06 Olympics, enormously pregnant with Eddie, hoping he would arrive... and then he waited another 3 weeks. Grrrr.

Meg said...

Oh, and yes:

Heather, meet my cousin Kate and my high-school-friend Alison.

Kate, meet Alison (she sang at my wedding) and my awesome theatre-friend Heather.

Alison, meet Heather and Kate.

I forget Izzy, Jackson, Abby and Eddie are all nearly the same age. And you all blog. How fortuitous!

When can we talk about Johnny Weir's man-corset? Wow. I mean, really.

PEGGLES said...

what is this amsterdam traveling about?

Rebecca said...

Amsterdam?!?!?! Why wasn't I invited?!?!?!?