My online journal.

Monday, October 31, 2005

I don't even like Halloween that much!



I seriously don't. I mean, I like candy corn (I really like candy corn) and I don't mind scary witches and goblins and whatnot, but I've never been a Halloween fanatic. Like some people I know, PEG! :)

I like to dress up, but I'm not especially entranced by the whole "becoming somebody else" thing -- which is probably why I'm a dreadful actor too. I'm too self-conscious (and I mean that literally; as in, I am too aware of ME being the person in the body in the costume) to really lose myself in a character, or another self. This is probably another reason I don't write fiction. :)

Right, so I've been at my work for three Halloweens. The first one, I didn't realize people dressed up. But they did. The second, I was on maternity leave with Lucy and the third one is today. And there have been some weird things going on at work, some not-happy-vibe things, some layoffs etcetera, but I frankly didn't see that as a good enough reason NOT to dress up. So I dressed up! I'm a pregnant disco dancer, and it's a pretty funny costume for just having come up with it at like 6:30 this morning too. And I am The.

Only.

One.

Dressed up.

At work.

Yup, it's a little embarrassing. Kind of a lot embarrassing. Sort of like those scenes in "Legally Blonde" and "Bridget Jones' Diary"... except at least I'm not in a Playboy-bunny costume. I did bring a "biz-casual" outfit to wear, just in case this sort of thing happened... but I don't know, I guess that would be admitting defeat. And ooh, I am stubborn about that sort of thing. But in a way I truly don't care. I'm having fun and my head isn't that itchy... yet... from the wig, and there's a certain pride I can take in knowing that maybe I was the bravest one.

Anyhoo! Thanks to EVERYONE who came to our house for the party yesterday -- it sure was fun watching those kiddos roll all over each other! And if anybody is hungry for any leftover bean soup, we have GALLONS of it at home. Hope everyone has a great day. :)

Josie, Owen and Lucy at our party yesterday.

3 comments:

peggles said...

preggo meggo! i would love to see the preggo disco dancer creative, spur of the moment costume! yeah! mine eyes are smiling upon you. i am still going to dress as if it is still october tomorrow when i get more clearanced halloween stuff (because most places were not discounted today, as i originally thought).
hey, to celebrate halloween (and paulo's birthday), we went to dinner at Bob Chinn's Crab House last night in Wheeling, IL. do you know the joint? the crab and mai tai's were super. i was glad i was not the designated dirver. yum, yum.

bart said...

how mortifyingly embarrassing... although you seem to have taken it in your stride ;-)

we don't celebrate halloween so much here in the netherlands... i wrote a little post on it a while ago you can find it here.

nice blog, well written... keep well

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

*lol* Oh Meg, that's hilarious! Did anyone say why they didn't dress up when they had the last two years? How odd! I don't suppose you have a picture of your preggo disco dancer, do you? I'd sure love to see that. :)

(By the way, I love candy corn, too!!!)

And to Peggles, who mentioned Bob Chin's Crab House: I LOVE THAT PLACE! Yum and a half...I wish we had one of those out here....