My online journal.

Thursday, August 28, 2008

In fact I would despair, would you not take me to the fair


I just don't want to look back on my life and have regrets about NOT doing things. But I don't think that's going to be a problem.


Tuesday night we went back to the MN History Center for the ninth of their "Nine Nights of Music." They had an American Folk band playing and they had contra-dancing going, which is just a fancy word for what I would call square-dancing. It was easy enough to jam along to with the kids. They weren't much for the waltzing, but their do-si-do was a force to be reckoned with.



Joel took off work today so we could all go to the Minnesota State Fair. We saw mama pigs and cows in labor, and we got to pet an 18-hour-old calf named Belle. After several corndogs and an early total-meltdown by Ed (I think his two-ness is finally catching up with him -- he has these inconsolable fits of bawling a couple times a day. It's not a tantrum, it's just... sobbing. It's heartbreaking while remaining super-annoying.), the kids both rallied in time to ride the giant slide. We also rode the sky-ride, almost asked a question about "winterburn" on MPR, spied Al Franken, made some hats in the shape of the state of Minnesota, and saw some giant fish. It was REALLY fun and I suspect the kids' favorite part was riding the park-n-ride bus.

Oh, and bouncing in the Twins bouncy... until it started raining and they nearly deflated the thing right on top of Ed!
This is Belle:
Sharing a lemonade...

3 comments:

bridget said...

Sounds like a great family day!

Heather said...

Oh, that lemonade picture is awesome. And is Joel getting super skinny?
Thanks again for the b-day card!

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

You're making me guilty for not having taken my kids to the fair. Ever. Classic introvert that I am, the fair makes me feel as if I will implode. Just toooooo mannnnyyyyy peeeeeople toooo close together. I can't help it. It LOOKS fun and it SOUNDS fun but I just kinda hate it no matter how hard I try. In my world it's the state 'F' word. I'm glad you had such fun. I'm enjoying the fair vicariously.