My online journal.

Monday, October 29, 2007

Glory be!

Then the door burst open wide!
And my daddy stepped inside!
And he kissed my mama's face!
And he brushed her tears away!
The night Chicago died Na-na na, na-na-na, na-na-na-na-na-na-na...

This song is stuck in my head. Yes, indeed. Oh, and Jean, Paper Lace is the band.

Ed is supposed to be napping but instead he's in his crib saying "Ready, go. Wheeeee!!" What a goofball.

We had an awesome weekend in Chicagoland! We got in to RM very late on Thursday night but the kids slept almost the whole way in the car, and were total angels. We got to see Stu and Julie and the twins, and Matt and Megan and Charlie, plus Nick and Estelle, and we got to spend lots of quality time with Ellen's boyfriend Dwayne Blazer. He taught us the trick to being the wittiest person in the room, and elevated our family banter to a new level of sarcasm. Oh, and Ed slipped on a rocking-whale at the playground and chipped his two front teeth. Poor little snaggletooth.

Ed climbed into bed with Lucy on Saturday morning at my parents' house, and she was trying to read him a book but he was getting wiggly. "Don't go, Eddie!" Lucy said. "I'm nice! I'm friendly!"

Lu had her last dance class of the session this morning, and I picked up Joel at work so we could all watch. All the other kids in class said their names, and of course Lucy insisted she was "Cinderella." She did pretty well as far as following along with the movements, but she latched onto another little girl and together they kind of went into goof-off mode: spending more time dancing/pretending to nap with each other than listening to Miss Lee. Oh, well. Ed was devastated that he couldn't join in the dancing and I had to let him run around in the hall for the second half of class.

Oh, PS Mom: I still have your camera. Sorry!

It's a gorgeous fall day here -- the oak tree in our front yard is radiant orange, with the sun streaming through. I picked about eight more tomatoes this morning -- 90% of the plants are totally dead, but there's still quite a bit of good fruit boldly clinging to life. I want to go pick up some pumpkins for the kids, even though Lucy has officically filed for Conscientious Objector status for Halloween.

I'd better start picking up this dump. Oof, it's tough to be gone for the whole weekend.

Don't forget, everybody, tomorrow (Tuesday) everybody in America gets a free taco from Taco Bell!! from 2-5 PM. Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding me about the taco-I'd already forgotten. And thanks for not mentioning who was in charge of Eddie when he chipped his tooth.
And, I'd like to be witty tonight, but there's no alcohol left!!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

I don't think I've ever heard of a kid not wanting to dress up and get candy. I only hope Abby is the same way, since we don't want her trick-or-treating anyway! Poor Ed--what can they do for this teeth, anything?

Meg said...

OK, I'll be honest -- I haven't exactly sat down with Lu and explained that people will give her candy if she dresses up. It's weird, because she dresses up EVERY DAY. *shrug*

I guess I forgot the rest of the Ed's tooth story -- we called Joel's dental assistant sister Jamie and she said:
A. We could take him in to get it checked out, but as long as he's not in pain and it's not bleeding, there isn't much they would do, except:
B. They would file it down, but we can do the same thing at home with a nail file. REALLY? Yes, apparently so.
C. They would cap it if we had an extra couple thou laying around and if his child-modeling career was in jeopardy.
D. They'll x-ray it to look for root damage. If it starts bugging him, or if a pimple forms on (eek) his gum (meaning an infection), or if the tooth gets wiggly, those would be warning signs.

Jean said...

I heard my mama cry
I heard her pray the night Chicago died
Brother what a night it really was
Brother what a fight it really was
Glory be!

Step aside, Paper Lace! Bring on John C. Reilly and Conan O'Brien!

Meg said...

Yeah, Jean, I tried to find that and it wasn't on YouTube. PS The other Ben Kweller song I have is called "Falling" and it's also pretty good.