My online journal.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Due date plus four days

Things to be thankful for

Joel. Sweet, kind, patient Joel. Who walked all around Maplewood Mall with me and Lucy for a couple hours Sunday morning, to keep my mind off the fact that I'm not in labor. Who sent me off to see "Grease" at a local community theatre, to keep my mind off the fact that I'm not in labor. Who bought me curried chicken to try to bring on labor. Who chased Lucy around much of the weekend so I could rest. Who now puts my socks on for me every morning with, well, it's not exactly a smile but it is certainly Enthusiasm.

Gus, who is apparently doing fine in there, even if (s)he seems to be settling in for the long haul. And who is, as I type, trying to stick a foot out through my belly button. This kid has Joel's sense of direction, poor misguided thing.

Lucy, who pulled through a weird but fortunately acute bout of vomiting early Sunday morning. And remains the cutest little thing in shoe leather.

Gus NOT being born this weekend, thereby avoiding becoming a reincarnation of Don Knotts. Dodged a bullet on that one, I tell you what.

So, it's Monday, and I'm back at work. Stupid Circuit City still doesn't have my laptop ready, dang fools. I think I'm ready to have this baby now, really. Oh, if you're interested, here are the Gory Details (not too gory though): contractions all weekend but only regular for a few hours at a time, and never closer than 7-8 minutes. Not strong enough to keep me up at night... so we're just kind of in a holding pattern. I'll report again tomorrow (Tuesday) but will prolly not have news until after my doc appt on Wednesday). Thanks everyone for all the kind words and check-in-phone calls.

5 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

"Joel's sense of direction..." *lol* That's hilarious! Poor baby. When does your doctor start talking induction? (NOT that you'll get that far.)

-Alison

Unknown said...

My doc has already started talking. I expressed concern because I am resistant to the idea of induction, and she said she's surprised when one of her patients DOESN'T get Pitocin. Which worries me a little. Anyway, I have an appt this Wednesday (the 1st) and if nothing is still happening she will most likely schedule an induction. Now, I don't know how far I can get that pushed back -- like, I'll be 42 weeks on March 9, will she let it go any farther than that? She did say that after 41 weeks they will need to "monitor" the baby -- I'm not really sure exactly what that entails. I know the placenta can start to disintegrate after a while, and also, the longer the babe's in there, (s)he runs a greater risk of inhaling/swallowing meconium... but I just don't know how long I actually have. Like, if the "due date" is just a guess to start with, when is it legitimate to start thinking the baby *needs* to come out?
Anyway. Whatever. If anybody has any thoughts on the matter, I'm open for discussion. In fact, I could use some advice. :)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Meg! I had pitocin with Megan and it wasn't bad at all, I know some people say it makes the labor more intense, well I have nothing to compare it to, but it didn't SEEM that bad. It sounds like you've got some great supports there with JG! What a guy! Good luck, and I will keep thinking good baby thoughts and sending them your way. By the way I had what I hope to be my last ultrasound today, and the docs think baby is doing fine and will make an entrance "sometime int he next month." Nothing like a vague description. Hopefully yours will come first! Bree

Nicole said...

Hi Meg,
My prediction for you is that you are going to have contractions that are there but tolerable and then all the sudden you will know to go the hospital and you will already be a 9 and that will happen around 2 or 3 in the morning.

Any hoo - I have had more than one birth. 1 without induction went fine - but had eppy. Next with induction of pitocin and it was wonderful - but also had eppy ( I like that part as you can see :). The induction was weird at first because you are actually picking the birth date and you show up like it is an appt. (I am hear to have a baby today) But you get good rest, you get to shower in morning feel good and are all ready to go. Where as - at least in my case it could happen at anytime - like a Friday night at say 10pm and then be in labor for a very long time and be very very tired. When I delivered Addy Jo with the induction - i tell you my day could not have went better. Down as possibly the best day ever- one of them anyway.

My very long point is it will be great either way but induction is nothing to be scared of or worried about. Some people say the contractions on harder, faster etc. But like my doctor told me that really is unknown even when you have had one child already because every labor is different and who knows how it would go without the drugs if you have them and vice versa if you don't.

I am thinking of you. I am sure you will sail through with flying colors.

Rebecca said...

Meg, I asked about that with my instructor and she said that as long as the baby is doing fine at the doctor checkups, there is no reason why you should schedule an induction prior to 42 weeks, or March 9. Most likely, you'll go in a couple of days anyways. 78% of all babies naturally come within 6 days of their due date---if it makes you feel any better.