My online journal.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

The melancholy of parenting

Of COURSE everyone tells you how wonderful parenthood is. And they will also tell you how hard it is. The wonderfuls and the difficulties are obvious: the former comes when you gaze at your little creation sleeping soundly and cozily; the latter, when they're screaming and you can't determine why.
But there is something else that comes with parenthood -- something more profound and more difficult, sometimes, to bear than the worst temper tantrum. I think it's melancholy.

It starts the instant you find out you are pregnant. Something *snap!* changes; You Are A Parent, and you can never be the same. Whether that pregnancy results in a healthy baby, or in a miscarriage, or something in between, is immaterial. You've felt the tug, the pull, the ache that is the melancholy.
And immediately, you're forced to start letting go of this creation, this little essence you haven't even seen yet. You can take your vitamins, quit smoking, whatever else you can do... but that's all you can do. The main decisions: boy/girl, tall/short, gay/straight... those are beyond your power. (I suppose someday soon, with genetic selection, these will come into our control, but that's another story for another day.) So you let go.
And, if you are particularly blessed, those little essences get born and keep right on growing. They choose their own way right from the start -- they like this bottle over that one... they sleep, or they don't... they get attached to a blanky, or a stuffed dog...
And you start hearing love songs in a different way. You watch the news of all the dreadful things in the world, with new eyes. You listen, breath held, outside the door of that baby's room, weighing ever-so-carefully whether or not to open that door: you might wake the baby, but at least you'll be sure she's still breathing. And you let go, and learn to trust your baby to make some mistakes and learn along the way.

Someday something a little scary happens, and you're reminded of the fragility of life. Or something a LOT scary happens and all you can do is hug your baby tight and let your tears, and her tears, run together.
Last night I was driving home from picking Lucy up at Dee's and I drove past a guy pointing a gun at another guy on the sidewalk, just three blocks from our house. The police were just arriving and I could NOT get out of there fast enough. I didn't burst into tears until we were inside our garage. It was terrifying.
And it just.
Never.
Ends.

But you do learn to live with the constant fear and worry. It isn't always debilitating; it ebbs and flows. The other part of this melancholy is the guilt, the constant wondering which boils down to infinite permutations of "Am I doing too much or not enough?". Moms who work outside the home have to live with the fact that they sacrifice time with their children. Moms who stay home have to live with the fact that they're not contributing to the family income. And so, so many moms in the compromised space between don't have it any easier.
I try to draw a grid in my head to determine where the needs and wants intersect. (I should probably try paper.) X is money. Y is happiness. What's the critical mass, the perfect recipe? What's the right thing to do? Where's my Magic 8 Ball?
And the days slip by, and I keep plugging along... through projects and meetings, through toodling and feeding. I woke up the other day and Lucy was a little girl. One day, God willing, I'll wake up and she'll be a woman.
And I'll still be melancholy.

2 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Gee, I was in a good mood until I read your post. ;) Unfortunately, I completely understand and empathize with every point you made. I realize every day how many things I have absolutely no control over, and being a quazi-control freak, it can get really upsetting. Somehow, when it's your own child, it gets a thousand times worse.

I've been going through a prayer book called "The Power of a Praying Parent," and it has prayers to pray each day for two months about differnt aspects of your child's life: school, behavior, health, spirituality, sexuality, purity, marriage...and every prayer I pray makes me more aware of all the things I'll never ever ever be able to guarantee for my child. And it just makes me so sad.

I had my first feeling of, "I don't care what happens to me, just take care of my baby" yesterday. I was coming down the stairs and the morbid thought of "What if I fell down these?" popped into my head. And I envisioned myself on the floor with paramedics over me and saying to them, "Just save my baby!" I haven't even met him/her yet, and all I want to do is protect it and spare it and incubate it from the world so it never has to hurt and never has to be sad. Frankly, it makes me feel really hopeless sometimes. Thank God children can bring so much joy, or else I don't know it would be worth all the mental agony.

Anonymous said...

Melancholy? Melancholy? I thought you were going to say loathing! Now that's something to talk about!