My online journal.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Albatross -- Week 5 Update

The outlook wasn’t brilliant for the Albatross that day
We’d been “ten-runned” more often than we’d really like to say

Our injuries ran rampant and our muscles all were wailing
We could have writ a sonnet about all the ways we’re ailing:

(There’s Alley Joel’s eyes, of course, and his bride Cara’s neck…
And Pudwell’s diabetes, which he bravely keeps in check…

With Crazy-legs’ hip all askew and brother James just missing…
And Meg suffering from effects of JG’s hugs and kissing.)

We didn’t have much confidence, no boasting did you hear;
We were not sure if we’d be glad – or crying in our beer.

We started Game 1 at the plate, and much to our surprise,
We’d no idea how the sun would burn our tender eyes.

When Lisa was still running late, and her turn came to bat
We squinted, stared and rubbed our eyes: “Great goodness, who is that?”

‘Twas Mary’s mom, and as it goes, she’s Lisa’s mom as well
Thank all the heavens she was there to fill in for a spell.

The game, it plodded right along, our defense fairly true.
We patched together several runs with tape and mud and glue.

Then from the blue, a short fly ball, out to right-center field
And here comes JG trucking in, his body like a shield –

Into the grass he flung himself – our shouts he sure did hear:
He rolled; he stood, and held aloft a perfect blue-stitched sphere.

And though he, and that other Joel, did bash it o’er the wall
The bout was lost – and yet there was one more game of softball

We carried our belongings far across the dewy grass
Just hoping that this other team’d refrain from kicking ass.

We saw the purple socks, we saw the orange pants of SWAT
The pitcher’s cute but truth be told, they weren’t all that hot.

And then a crash, a burst of light – a clang of angel chimes
And in one magic inning, we scored 10 fantastic times.

Jean made some crazy circus catches; Kevin made one too—
But then our defense went and rolled itself in stinky poo.

And then the moment did arise for us to seize the day
To carpe diem, grab the carp, however you will say…

But there, we had it in our hands, and sue me if I lie…
Oh who’d have thought the dang-ed game would finish in a tie?

Oh somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright
(And let’s hope it’s not in the eyes of fielders on the right)

Oh somewhere children laugh and play and hide each other’s shoes...
But we are joyful Albatri – PETE’S SAKES, WE DIDN’T LOSE!!

4 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

ROTFL!!! Oh my gosh, Meg, that is priceless. Absolutely pricesless. I cannot tell you how much I envy your way with words--because I know you didn't sit there slaving all day to churn that out. And I'm laughing all the more as I'm reminded of the alternate lyrics to the Andrew Lloyd Webber medley from junior year that you wrote during finals week...I have it somewhere and will definitely send it to you when I find it--or rather, send you a copy so I can keep the original for myself, since someday, when you're a famous writer, I could fetch beaucoup bucks for it on eBay....

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

BTW, love your photo! You're so dang pretty.

Rebecca said...

I agree with Alison...you're such a great writer and so pretty!

Unknown said...

LOL, kids, it's a headshot from like 2 years (and 1.5 pregnancies) ago. And there was lots of makeup involved so there you go. But thank you, you are sweet.

Al, I think I HAVE those lyrics somewhere... (in that box I got from my p's, I'm sure) and someday I really will get them to you.