My online journal.

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Sorry!

I am so sorry it has been SO LONG since I posted... I never actually know if anybody is reading these or not, since Alison is my only regular commenter (THANK YOU AL!), but if you have been checking, and you have been bored to tears by my lack of entries, just know that I was out of town over the weekend and I have been on JURY DUTY all week (I feel the need to CAPITALIZE JURY DUTY because if I was speaking it, I would certainly do so in that extra-loud, semi-incredulous, overly-dramatic faux-Seinfeldesque way I have) and therefore incommunicado.

I feel like "incommunicado" might be one of those things that isn't really a word or means the opposite of what I want it to, but people use it anyway to sound cool and nobody really knows for sure what the right word is in the first place. (If you know what the right word is, please comment and put me out of my misery.) I can think of a couple other words that are sort of like that... "empathy/sympathy," "flammable/inflammable," and "nonplussed."

I had an AWESOME reunion with some high school friends in Chicago* over the weekend. I hadn't seen Nick in about 5 years, and I hadn't talked to Estelle in close to 11 years, and it was amazing just to pick right back up with them. Golly, they are hilarious. It was amazing to reconnect with them and hit it off so well.

*I can say this because we did actually go within the Chicago city limits. I have started referring to where I grew up as "Illinois" instead of "Chicago" since I never actually lived within the city limits and I started feeling like it was kind of misleading to say I'm "from Chicago." And for a while I thought I was cooler than other Minnesotans for being "from Chicago," which was, in retrospect, obviously my bad, and plus I got tired of having to retract my Chicagoness when people would ask if I actually lived in the city when the closest my address ever got was Skokie.

2 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

incommunicado: without the means or right of communicating with others

empathy: identification with and understanding of another's situations, feelings, and motives--which is slightly different from...

sympathy: the act or power of sharing the feelings of another

nonplussed: to put at a loss as to what to think, say, or do; bewilder

Frankly, I would have switched the definitions for empathy and sympathy, so I guess it's good I looked them up. Thank you, dictionary.com.

A reunion! I'm so jealous!! How is everyone?! Holy cow, Estelle; there's a name I haven't heard since, like, graduation.

So what was your JURY DUTY case? Anything exciting?

Unknown said...

Well, I only got to go through selection for one case, and I wasn't selected, but we did find out it was an assault case, probably domestic assault, probably involving drinking and/or drug usage by possibly both parties.

Both Nick and Estelle are doing great! They both went to the RMHS reunion last summer -- Nick found it really interesting and surprisingly cool, and Estelle I think didn't have as much fun. We went down to Greektown, where I'd never been, and listened to some live Greek music and went to a Greek bakery. I never ever get to do stuff like that and it was really cool. :)