My online journal.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Am I blue?

Yeah, I'm a little blue today. For starters, my job... and then there's Lucy. What a kid. She started crying in Target after I picked her up from day care yesterday, and cried all through the dinner hour, and cried when I put her to bed. And though she slept for a couple hours, she was up crying by 10:30 again. And it's this whiny, tired cry... and she points at things she wants, but sometimes it's nothing, and she cries WHILE SHE'S SLEEPING. Completely asleep, eyes closed, crying.

And I'm starting to worry about her lack of verbal skills. At no point in this crying does she say "Mama" or "Dada" or anything that even sounds like a word. Even when she's crying alone in her crib in the middle of the night, and it's obvious that she wants a cuddle from one of us.

I don't know what we should do. She doesn't eat anything after day care anymore -- maybe a Clementine or a fistful of cheese, but nothing resembling dinner. She wants to sit on our laps, then wiggles to get down and then cries when we put her down. She cries when we try to play in the living room. Cries through her bath. But it's really the waking up crying in the middle of the night that gets me! She's been a good sleeper since she was, like, three months old -- what is going on?

Joel's a saint, of course -- he gets up, rocks her, and last night even let her sleep on his chest for a while. And I just feel terrible.

Not to mention, a girl at work accidentally said "this year" rather than "this time" when referring to my current pregnancy... and I just started crying. Is that what people think??

Sorry, I'm just tired I guess.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hang in there sweetheart! I know I'm a gazillion miles away from being able to give you a big hug, but just use your visualization techniques!

Maybe Lulu needs a good, stiff, Rum and Coke! (J/K)

MC said...

Hi Meg,
I'm sad you're a little sad. :-( Your hormones are all over the place, so hang in there. It'll get better. And on the up side, kids get bigger and they move away from home! I don't know if I've made you feel any better but maybe you smiled at the kid comment. I do care and just wanted to let you know.

CarolSue said...

Is today a better day?

I'm sorry you've been blue... I'm sending you a big hug... did you feel it?!

Unknown said...

Thanks girls, you are so sweet. Carol, the hug felt a little like a Braxton-Hicks contraction... but thanks. :)
Today is better -- Lucy was a doll last night and something made me laugh at work. And my Clementine orange this morning was exceptionally sweet and juicy. Three for three!

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg... Don't be worried about LuLu -- Josh didn't even recognize Scott when I picked him up from the airport this last Monday (another of Scott's trips to Seattle). Plus, Josh was playing with Scott later that night and actually ran away from him and cried until I came and hugged him when he got a boo boo. At least Lucy wants Joel around!! : ) Kids constantly change their needs and wants, and who knows how they are going to be from day to day!