Now that the Pants is nearing a year (a year!! My heavens, can you believe it!?!), we're incorporating more and more "table scraps" into her diet.
("And it's about damn time," Lucy adds.)
She ate chunks of Joel's burger at Champp's (or is it Chammp's? Chaamp's?) on Thursday, she chanked on a french fry at Chili's* on Friday; on Saturday, she was gumming some well-cooked buffet corn, and she ate almost an entire fork-mashed mango on Sunday and she just could not be more delighted with herself. (That mango was feasty by the way -- I kind of hated to see it go!)
The most fun part for me has been: I can buy produce!! I've spent all of my grownup years so far attempting to buy fresh fruits and veggies, and much to my dismay they almost always rot away before anyone eats them. Joel's too much of a "prepackaged-food" guy (lord love his poor arteries) to ever pick up an apple and eat it, and though I try I generally end up following his sodium-packed lead. But now Lucy and her Tummy of Steel are in town, and I'm steaming green beans, shredding spinach, ripening mangoes and peeling apples to my heart's content. I even whipped her up some "cantaloupe cereal" on a whim at the Gronaus' yesterday -- of course, as a result I'm changing poopy diapers at an alarming rate, too.
The tough part is finding a balance -- I tend to make a large quantity of something, and then she's eating nothing but carrots for a week straight. But I really can't complain; she's devoured everything we've given her.
She's still in "Toodle Town" -- hanging on for dear life and walking all over the place. I can't really say she's getting any better at it. Oh, and the "baby gibberish" has picked up, both in quantity and variety (i.e. less "dadadadadada, abababababa" and more "digividada. op op wog?"). So that's interesting. Happy Monday!
* I know, it looks like we're eating out a lot. This has been an anomaly and we are planning to have more home-cooked food soon... very soon. As soon as softball ends. Really. :)
My online journal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I just cann't believe that she is just a couple of months away from being a year! And it is wonderful to be able to just give her regular food. Zoey has started on crackers and I gave her a couple of bites of watermelon. She loves her baby food. She really wants to start a sippy, but I just can't do that yet. They just grow and change so fast. Where did our snuggly little infants go?
Jara
So are you making homemade baby food--cooking stuff down, blenderizing it all--or just giving her chunks of what you have? You'll have to give me some pointers when the time comes!
-Alison
It's a little bit of both -- if a food is soft or melty enough by nature (ripe mango, bread) then we give it to her more or less whole. Cooking/steaming softens a lot of things (potatoes, carrots) sufficiently, and some things just need to be blended up a bit (cooked chicken)... and some need to be cooked AND blended (green beans). It's so fun to experiment, and to watch her experience the textures and tastes for the first time.
P.S. Do you like how all my examples above are super healthy- and holistic-sounding? I definitely omitted the chocolate-chip cookies and the french fries so you think I'm a good mother.
Post a Comment