Also, yesterday I posted on Craig's List looking for some hanging baskets in which to plant some flowers and hang around the gazebo. I got a reply, from someone I'll call Revayco. I suspect this guy might be a long-lost relative.
Original craigslist posting:
Hey there, I'm looking for your used hanging basket-style containers for plants or flowers. Optimally, they'd have a hook or loop at the top and I can hang them off some existing hooks in my yard. Any size is OK -- I'm thinking in the 8"-14" range. Any material (plastic/metal) OK too. Im looking for up to six (6) hanging pots. The picture shows what I would call very high-end -- a cheapo throwaway plasticky kind is totally fine. Free would be best -- cheap is OK too. Let me know what you've got! Thanks!
Revayco replied:
Hi - I have 6 of the metal type of hanging basket that I won't be using this spring.
I paid $5 apiece for these in 2004.
They are in real good condition. I've discarded the moss, so we are talking frame only.
I don't have pictures.
We be asking a firm $15 cash.
I live in Champlin. Haven't been in East Saint Paul since the Vikings were in the Super Bowl.
So I wrote back:
I wasn't aware the Vikings were ever in the Super Bowl.. Thanks for the reply --
Champlin's too far for me, though. Sorry...
At which point I would have expected the conversation to end. However...
Revayco writes back:
Thanks for letting me know. I'm also delighted the inhabitants of the
east side write and speak English.
Four Super Bowls in fact.
I earned the right to talk smart about the east side. I married one, and made a good woman out of her.
Keep smiling.
So now I've been engaged, and I can't resist. I reply:
Hellooo, didn't you get the memo? The east side is the new happenin' spot. The new Uptown. Uptown II. Uptopia. We're still working on a title. All the hep English-speaking cats are groovin' over here..
Get out and do some yard work, or something.
And here's the response from Revayco:
Hep Cats ??? My good common sense says, Meg wants the last word. Ain't happening. I'm Irish.
The east side is like a foreign country. Lower Liberia. Southern Somali. Eastern Ethiopia.
The fringe benefit you get is to see the sun first, not conducive to a good crop of anything except weeds.
Best check your TV guide.
Wouldn't want you to miss Lawrence Welk and those sweet "Hep" Lennon Sisters you grew up with.
Oh, I don't do yard work till after Easter. Makes it easier to hide the eggs. Yard mice don't like eggs.
The price of the hanging baskets is now $250 cash only. I need it to get my head examined.
I'll now retire to the bat cave. We're burning pictures of Oprah to use for tomato
fertilizer.
So the upshot is, I still don't have any hanging baskets. If you have any to get rid of, let me know. And now I have the memory of this very strange e-conversation.
In unrelated news, a friend of mine offered to teach preschool drawing class and asked whether Lucy would be interested. Lucy likes to produce art, but I'm not sure she'd benefit from a class at this stage. Anyway, I was mulling this over in my head yesterday morning when I turned the corner and ran into ... Frida Kahlo.
So I'm guessing the art class might be a good idea after all, eh?
7 comments:
awesome picture. i'd vote yes on the art class, too.
burning pictures of Oprah to use as tomato fertilizer"--excellent.
OMG. This entire post leaves me speechless... just awesome.
Thanks for defending the pride of the East Side.
And he was right. You do like to have the last word. :)
OH - and I do not have or know there whereabouts of your green coat. But if you don't find it right quick - St. Patty's Day is in serious jeopardy.
That picture had me laughing out loud for a full minute.
That was a great post.
Eureka! I have your green coat! It's hanging in my closet in all it's obnoxious green glory. You shall get it back today. (It has, infact, been in my posession for precisely 1 year.) Happy St. Patty's Day!
BTW, reading your post this morning made Froot Loops shoot out my nose. (They're generic Fruit Loops. Maybe they're called Fruit Rings. Hmm. Not sure now.)
I don't live far from Champlin and would happily pick up the baskets. Probably doesn't still have them though!
So I was just perusing (not sure that's spelled correctly) with Jo looking over my shoulder, and I came to the picture of Frida, er, Lucy.
Jo: "Who is THAT??!"
Me: "Look really hard, tell me if you recognize her."
Jo: "I don't know anyone who looks like THAT."
Me: "Are you sure? Who do you know with blonde hair?"
Jo: "Lucy??"
Me: "Yup."
Jo: "But. But. She looks..... like..... someone ELSE!"
There's a great deal of hatin' goin' on in the greater burbs regarding the good ole' East Side.
God Bless the now defunct "Ha Ha", the Little Oven, the 5-8 and the Dairiette.
Post a Comment