My online journal.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Back in MN

Hi there, quick welcome home note to myself. I told a couple of my cousins that I'd try harder to blog... so here I am!

And when was I speaking with my cousins, you may ask? Why, at the 37th annual Ryan Family Picnic, of course! Held every summer in Chicagoland, this was the first year without our beloved Nana, who died in May at the age of 95.

The picnic was hot but lovely. Eddie had a freakout when "his" helium balloon took off for the heavens. He was terrified it was going to go out to outer space, and later insisted that all balloons be destroyed in order to prevent this from ever. Happening. Again. It was his own personal balloon holocaust, and I'm still trying to figure it out.

Joel and I left the kids with my folks, and are going to really enjoy the quiet for the next four days. I'm going to start by going to roller derby practice this evening, then Joel's going to go to work in the morning and... oh that's right, so am I, editing the August issue of the Forum. Later in the week, I'm also going to get my eyebrows waxed. Whoa, too much excitement. Oh-- we're also catching a Twins game and I'm going to volunteer at church. Yep, it's a thrill-a-minute around here.

Last week the kids finished their session of swim lessons -- Lucy passed into the next level and Eddie *almost* did. :) Eddie also started piano last week, and I think it's good that he's with Grandma this week to encourage the practicing. It took me 9 months to get Lucy into the practicing rhythm (which is not bad -- I took for 5 years and never enjoyed it), and I can't get inside Eddie's head like I can with Lulu.

OK better go find a COOL outfit to wear to practice. The airco will not be on at the Roy, and it's 90 and muggy. Urgh.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Loved seeing you at the picnic! I hope you and Joel enjoy your quiet week alone!