My online journal.

Friday, April 15, 2011

MNRG Tryouts: 1 month and 29 days to go

Hey there! I'm going to be trying out for the Minnesota Rollergirls (MNRG) on Sunday, June 12 -- and in the next almost-2-months I'd like to use this forum to document my training and prep for tryouts.

Background: last July I signed up for the recreation-and-training league of MNRG: the Debu-Taunts ("Debs" or DTs). I'd only ever been to one roller derby bout, but I knew I could skate OK, and after eschewing sport in favor of theatre/dance for the past 20 years, I was looking for a new athletic endeavor. DTs practice once a week, on Sunday nights, and I try to get in at least one other skate each week, so I'll let you know how those progress.

People always ask about injuries in roller derby, so I'll probably give you some injury updates as I go. Right now I've got the remainders of a really cute bruise (about 4" in diameter) on my right hip, from falling hard at practice 2 weeks ago. My wristguard took a bite out of my right arm last Sunday, so there's a tablespoon-sized donut-shaped bruise there. My arches each have a blister, from running in my new Vibram shoes 2 days ago. Other than that: pretty healthy.

More later!

1 comment:

tendrils said...

Exciting!!! Best of luck to you!!!