My online journal.

Friday, April 01, 2011

Blown away

Here's what I want: a Community Ed class on how to blow-dry your hair. OK -- my hair. I'm embarrassed even to say that it's only been in the past year or so that I am finally beginning to understand how much better hair can look when properly blow-dried. OK -- my hair. Like, it has fullness! Body! It doesn't need to lay limply on my head like overcooked spaghetti! AMAZING!

When I go get my hair cut (which -- OK fine -- I last did 7 months ago), the gal wields her fancy blowdryer with the precision of a surgeon. I get home and try to duplicate her efforts, and I can't even reach parts of my head... and how do you dry the underside without getting knots on top?... and how do you hold the dryer in one hand and a brush in the other? And never mind even attempting to switch hands to get the other side. My hair, in its natural state, is wavy when wet and crazy-frizzy-tangly when semi-dry. It's thick, and there's a lot of it. By the time I get a small section dried, the areas around it have woven themselves into a coarse mesh. When I try to comb out the mesh, my fingers get caught in the knots and I can feel the strands ripping and breaking. My arms fatigue and I start to sweat, which of course makes my hair wet again, and the cycle repeats, and more often than not I wind up chucking it all and pulling up a ponytail... which is how I end up with a pixie cut. Aaargh! It's hard being a girl.

Next week: bras.

3 comments:

Jean said...

I feel the same way about putting on makeup. At least you were in shows and show choir where you learned that kind of thing- I still don't really know what I'm doing.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Shotty recommended VS's Bio-Fit, and my life will never be the same. I think I paid 2x more for this bra than I EVER have for a bra, and yet... I'm very happy. --Lush

Meg said...

Ah, but VS doesn't make AAs. And actually, NOBODY makes a 34AA to fit a grownup-sized torso... most mfrs assume that any person requiring AA must be about 13 years old, with bone structure to match.