My online journal.

Friday, June 25, 2010

Win a copy of Alison Strobel's "The Weight of Shadows"!

You've maybably heard me mention my friend Alison, who I met back in high school and who has gone on to become a fabulous published author.

Here she is:


Alison has been a Christian since she was a little kid -- her dad was a journalist, and then a pastor (and is now a very well-established author himself). Alison was the first Christian I'd ever met who had a personal relationship with Jesus. My family had always gone to church, and I went to Catholic school for 8 years, but I was intrigued about this different kind of spirituality. After college, I read her dad's first couple of books and they really blew my mind. (I recommend those to you, as well -- but I digress.)

Alison is the author of novels Worlds Collide and Violette Between, and has written a children's book, That's Where God Is, with her husband Dan.

Her latest book, The Weight of Shadows, has just come out, and I devoured it in just a couple days -- and mind you, I am a sloooooow reader. The tagline goes like this:

Kim finally found a release for her guilt--but is her penance more important than her daughter's life?


Sounds a bit melodramatic, but it's totally not. Which doesn't mean it's not gripping! Because it totally is! Argh, I am the worst book-reviewer ever. Anyway, I read a review of "The Weight of Shadows" that called it "an important book" and I totally agree. I read about domestic abuse in the papers all the time... yet how is it that I've never before read a novel about it? Alison intertwines a small handful of storylines involving very real, sympathetic, flawed characters. And the Christianness of the book is so natural, so integrated, that I hesitate even to call it a "Christian" book. It's just a book about people -- some of them know Jesus, some don't, some find Him, some don't.

The way Alison writes it is very realistic, I think -- sometimes some of the characters burst into prayer. (People mock musicals because, they say, "People don't just burst into song!" But I assure you: They Do. Same thing with prayer.) Reading the book, it struck me how little faith of any kind is portrayed in most of the books we read. Why is that, do you think? I mean, I know in lots of books the characters dash off a quick prayer before heading into one dramatic situation or another -- but rarely do you read real characters, of ANY faith, actively practicing that faith. OK anyway. The Weight of Shadows is not just a character study, although the characters are indeed compelling. I grew to love the characters in all their damaged humanity; I cried in several spots. And the storyline is also fascinating and engaging. It's a very well-written book that I highly recommend, and it's my birthday and I'm tired so I'm just going to leave it at that!

And TWO Contests!

First, from me (Meg):
If you comment on this post (below), I will send you a FREE copy of The Weight of Shadows. Seriously! And I know I'll get, like, one or two comments so your chances of winning are exceedingly high. Comment!

And second, from Alison:
On July 18th, which is one week after the close of the tour*, I'll choose one commentor from a randomly selected blog to receive either autographed copies of my first three books or a gift card to their favorite bookstore.
*Meg again: I didn't do a good job of explaining that I'm part of a "blog tour" Alison has put together to get the word out about her book. Basically lots of other bloggers are also writing about The Weight of Shadows. Who? Why, funny you should ask -- click the "Who else is blogging..." link below.

So there you have it. It's a great book, and you can get it for free. Comment now!

LINKS:
Alison's website
Who else is blogging about this book?
The Weight of Shadows at Amazon
The Weight of Shadows at Christianbook.com

7 comments:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

You're a *great* book reviewer! Thank you so much, Meg, both for giving the book such a glowing endorsement and for agreeing to do the book tour. Happy second day of your 34th year--wish I could come take you out for cake and margaritas!

CarolSue said...

I like contests. I love books. So... there you go. Congrats on your book release, Alison!

peggles said...

book sounds interesting. i cannot remember the last time i read a non-child rearing or nursing book, so i'd love to take a read!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Thanks CarolSue! Good luck to you and Peggles! :)

bridget said...

Ooh, I am always in search of good books to read. To me there is nothing worse than being on vacation (and I am for 2 more months) and having othing to read!

Anonymous said...

This is too funny that I am reading this today. Joe was just last night reading a book written by Lee Strobel. A friend of his had just read it and thought that Joe would really like it. It was called, "The Case for Christ". He enjoyed it a lot and he will be excited to hear that you know the author.

I too am always looking for something new to read, especially in the summer, so I'd love to read "The Weight of Shadows"!

See you tomorrow at the shower.

Molly

pilgrimchick said...

Thank you for the review--I prefer to hear from real people who read books for enjoyment than professional reviewers who are paid for their product.