My online journal.

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ham Ring!

My mom's been making this recipe since I was a kid. It's yummy and super-easy, and sorta fancy-looking.

Broccoli-Swiss Ham Ring

A pile of cooked ham, cubed (maybe 1/2 or 3/4 lb?)
A pile shredded Swiss cheese (about 4 oz?)
A pile of diced broccoli (about the same size pile as the other two)
About 1/4 cup mayonnaise
A squirtle (maybe 1 Tb? 2?) yellow mustard
1 package refrigerated crescent rolls (I recently successfully subbed a pre-made pie crust; I bet you could also use pizza dough).

Mix the first 5 ingredients (everything except the crescent rolls) in a mixing bowl. Make sure everything's well-distributed; set aside.
Unroll the crescent rolls and separate so you have 8 odd-shaped triangles. Arrange the crescent triangles, overlapping, in a ring-shape on a cookie sheet (I use nonstick -- you might want to use parchment or cooking spray). The triangle bases will overlap in the center, and the points to the outside. (This is the tricky part -- I can't exactly describe how to do it. I muck it up every time but it CAN be done beautifully with a bit of patience.) There should be about a 3-inch diameter circle in center. Spoon the ham-broccoli-cheese mixture evenly over the crescent rolls (so the filling will also be in the shape of a ring). NOW, gather up the points of the triangles over the filling and tuck under base at center. The filling will not be completely covered.
Bake according to the directions on the package of crescent rolls, or until nice and golden brown.



Now here's what I've noticed with this recipe -- it would be a LOT easier to assemble the sucker if you use 2 packages of crescent rolls. However, I find that the buttery-goodness of the crescent rolls is really overwhelming -- as it is, I usually want less crescent-roll and more filling. But do what you wish!

5 comments:

bridget said...

OOH yes, we make this quite often because the kids think it is absolutely fabulous! We have played around with the innards to make a variety of different combinations- cheddar, turkey, etc, but my favorite is the ham and swiss. Mmmmm!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Oh wow, I love the sound of this! I had something similar at a Pampered Chef party a few years back but completely forgot about it. Tons of filling possibilities!!

Jean said...

The smell of ham ring reminds me of 3003 Owl Drive. Yum!!!

Katers said...

Yes, my mom made that a lot as a kid too....I HATED it. Now as an adult, I am no longer repulsed by it.

Meg said...

Oooh, yeah, Kate, I could see there being wayy too much white stuff (mayo, swiss) in there for you. ;)