My online journal.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

How am I going to NOT forget Ed's appt tomorrow morning?

For the weekend, Joel and I took the kids up to the lake for the first time of the season. (That is at least two too many prepositional phrases for one sentence.) The first thing that caught our attention was how BIG Lucy looked running around the place! We've been looking at pix of her up there last year, and the year before, and my gosh she is just huge. Her legs look like they've just sprouted. It helped, of course, that she was wearing one of last year's dresses that now just barely covers her behind.

Both kids were just adorable all weekend, despite their disrupted sleep regimens. They sat in the water for hours, scooping up rocks and sand and getting all wiggly when it was time to reapply the sunscreen (which needed to be about every hour -- those kids are so dang fair!). Ed passed out into a coma-like sleep every time we took him out in the "big boat." And I really discovered that, apart from the occasional waterskiing, I could entirely do without a motored boat. You can see and hear so much more, and have such better conversations, and really enjoy the lake more in a human-powered boat... which we were able to discover when we took out the Gronaus' little rowboat for a bit of exploring this morning. I don't think Joel shares my enthusiasm, but I'd really like to pick up a canoe or some kayaks in the future.

I also have to come clean about my new bathing suit. Take a deep breath: it has a skirt. I know, I KNOW! It's a 2-piece, but it's way more material than I'm accustomed to wearing at the beach. I feel like something out of the 1920s -- in fact, Joel has taken to calling it my "bathing costume". The good news is, it hides my bizarre stomach. And as an added bonus, the skirt means I don't even have to think twice about what my backside looks like. Because I haven't glanced back there in a while. Yeesh.

Sat nite Joel and I were able to sneak out for a late show of Ocean's 13. The movie wasn't bad at all. I think we're calling that our anniversary celebration. Which is more than a little disappointing.

I found out today that I did not get into nursing school -- I'm not even on the wait list. I'm disappointed, of course; being rejected stinks! So I'm going to try to focus my energies on, well, the kids of course, and some theatre stuff. I'm going to actually take some dance classes. Oh! And I forgot to mention, at my meeting for that summer camp thing last week? There are 5 "counselors" and the only one I hadn't met yet went to my high school. What are the stinkin' chances?? She was 10 years behind me (too young even for Ellen to know her, egads) but she had Mr. Stelk, and Mr. McCrory, and Mrs. Good, and she was in New Directions and was the overall director for V-Show. Exactly three of you will know the significance of this info, but it's pretty cool. She's an amazing girl, in the theatre program at the U, and I'm really excited to get to know her and work with her.

I'm watching (well, kinda -- it's on next to my head) the Tony Awards. I love all the production numbers, and seeing all the theatre legends close-up. Ooooh, there's Swoosie Kurtz!

4 comments:

Heather said...

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha! Mine has a skirt too! God bless the creator of the Lands End Swim Mini! Until someone invents a way to erase stretch marks and eliminate my c-section tummy, I shall forever wear a skirted swim costume.

Amen.

slskenyon said...

It's too bad about school--I've received countless rejections for jobs in a similar vein. My solution to needing to shave...uh-hum...is swim shorts. Thank God I don't care much about my tan lines.

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Aw, bummer about nursing school; I'm sorry. :(

That's so funny about that girl being an RMHSer! Wow, V-Show, ND's and everything. I can't believe Stelk was still teaching ten years after us. Remember that dream you had about your tiger earrings eating him?

I think your bathing suit sounds cute! Or is that not the adjective you're hoping for when having your bathing suit described?

Meg said...

Heather, I tell you what, a natural-birth-tummy isn't anything to write home about, either. Egads.

Al, I assure you, the suit is definitely cute! Well, my busted-up mom-goggles see it that way anyway. :) :) :)

Slskenyon, I have liked swim shorts in the past, but the skirt hides even more rear-end-skin-imperfections-of-the-dairy-variety, if you know what I'm sayin'. Also the shorts sometimes ride up in weird ways on me. Go figure.