My online journal.

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I switched to the New Blogger

I don't feel any different.

Also! I need a recipe. I was sitting next to a mom at storytime today who fed her daughter what appeared to be an oatmeal-raisin cookie, but what I'm sure was actually an uber-healthy granola-ey concoction, optimized for high fiber and nutrition and minimal fat and sugar.

But you can't exactly type that into Allrecipes or Epicurious and expect to get any results.

Also! New poll. Oh... except I don't have the time to figure out how to do a poll again.

Ed slept for maybe 30 minutes in the van right before noon/lunch, due to a set of somewhat bizarre circumstances that I will allow Joel to post at his discretion. We got home by noon, finished lunch by 12:30 and Ed was in his crib for nap by 1:00. Except he was wiiiiide awake. But happy. He jabbered to himself and played his fish-music-boxes for close to two hours(!!) until I thought to go in, at which point I immediately discerned he had a large dirty diaper. I changed it, and put him back down. He fell asleep almost right away.

Am I a bad mother for letting him fart around for two hours on his own? I'm not so concerned about the diaper; it didn't seem to bother him. But, like, should I have taken him out and played with him? I really thought he was going to fall asleep at any moment. Really.

8 comments:

Katers said...

Heck no! I believe everybody needs some quiet time, or "me" time. Isn't that part of the learning curve, learning to entertain yourself?

CarolSue said...

I really have no idea what you're supposed to put in the "labels." Something like the category that particular post falls in or something. It seems like it involves some sort of "organization." Which I know I'm personally short on these days, I don't know about you.

And no way are you a bad mom for letting him be for 2 hours. He was HAPPY. And I'll bet you were HAPPY. So where's the harm in that??!

AND - I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear Joel's take on the bizarre circumstances. Please, Joel??

Lisa Anderson said...

Leave him in there, especially if he is content. I leave David in his crib even when he isn't going down for a nap - like when I need to shower!

Take care!

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Good gravy, what I wouldn't give to be able to leave Abby in her crib and have her be happy on her own. She does not do "alone" very well at all. Which sucks, because I really need it.

The labels are for indeed for organization. Like, if you labeled all your posts in categories, then someone who wanted to read all your posts in a certain category could click on that label and it would bring up all those posts. Also, Technorati has its own set (I think) of labels that make your blog posts searchable through Technorati. Or something like that. I just make up my own.

I've noticed that the new blogger doesn't make my name into a link to my blog when I sign in under "other", but the old blogger did. Weird. And annoying.

-Alison
blog.alisonstrobel.com

bridget said...

As long as he was happy, it is good for the kids to figure out ways to entertain themselves. That is a huge developmental milestone, so don't think of it terms of neglecting, but rather encouraging his well being!

'Ol Neighborina Nicole said...

I'm with all the other smart moms who posted on your blog -- leave 'em be if they're happy! Some kids need that, thrive on it. Plus, I'm a big believer in "quiet time," even if the boys are just farting around in their cribs for an hour. Everyone needs a little break.

So, good job, Mom!

Meg said...

Nicole, I want you to know that I tried really hard to work "farting around" into my post. Thank you for fitting it in!

Ok, so the problem was that I didn't really *enjoy* the time because I kept thinking, "I should go get him!" Next time I promise to enjoy it more. :)

Next up: How Bad Is It If I Don't Get Around To Brushing My Teeth Until 1:30PM; Should I Just Wait Until Bedtime, Then?

Heather said...

Ahhh! I just went through this with Jackson today! He fell asleep in the car for FOUR minutes. I counted. When we got home he could barely open his eyes. I put him in his crib at 1:30 and while I did get him out once for about 30 minutes, he did not actually fall asleep until 4:00. I think it was more about ME needing him to take a nap than my being so concerned that he get one for his own well being!