My online journal.

Saturday, January 06, 2007

Jan 6 Notes

Hi. It's Saturday night and I thought I was really tired, but I'm writing. Ay-yi-yi!

My dad was here all week for a wonderful visit with us and the kids. He ate all my Christmas cookies (even the "booster batches" I'd made on Christmas Eve) so I had to make a final booster-batch of oatmeal cookies on Thursday... which he also devoured. So just in case there's ever any doubt as to where I got my sweet tooth, I'm pretty sure I've got it figured out. Though Mom likes cookies too, so even if "sweet tooth" were recessive, I suppose I was doomed. :)
The upshot is, I'm out of cookies again, and I think Nicole W's molasses cookies are next in the rotation. If I get any time in the next few days.

Which is unlikely since I'm trying to rehearse three dances for the show on the 20th. Yes, I realize that's less than 2 weeks away. I'm stressing a little.

The kids are great -- I'm kind of starting to wean Ed, mostly because he wiggles and whines and refuses to nurse much... also because we think maybe he continues to wake up repeatedly in the middle of the night because he's not getting enough food. I'm actually extremely dubious about that hypothesis; if you take one look at Ed's cheeks and thighs, you'd probably agree that "hunger" is not one of his problems. I don't know, I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing. I don't have much of a nursing support group; I don't regularly hang with any other nursing mothers, so even though I know who you are it's not like I actually get to sit down next to you and nurse our babies together; it's a challenge, you know? P.S. Ed is 10 months old on Sunday! How did THAT happen?

No major updates from Lu; she remains riotously hilarious and wonderful. We're working on her comic timing; it's coming along nicely.

I got my hair highlighted and it's really... stripey. I thought I liked it until I got a really good look under bright lights this evening and while it does mask the increasingly large gray patches, it's a little bolder than I probably wanted. I'm told it will fade. I'm not holding my breath.

I'm toggling between the Blogger window and an article on espn.com about Justin Morneau. I really wish baseball season was coming sooner than it is.

Well, have a good week!

1 comment:

Alison Strobel Morrow said...

Abby still nurses two to five (yes, five) times a night, and the amount that she eats during the day doesn't seem to have any bearing on the night frequency. If you go to gentlechristianmothers.com's message boards, there's one dedicated to breastfeeding, and from what I've read there a lot of babies who nurse at night for quite a long time. Granted, a lot of the women on there cosleep like we do, and that definitely ups the number of night feedings because, hey, they're sleeping right next to the buffet table, so why not sneak a little snack when you wake up? :)

The average length of Abby's nursing sessions during the day is about thirty seconds. I'm ballparking that figure but I swear it's not much of an exaggeration. And she kicks and rolls and executes all sorts of nursing gymnastics. But so help me if I refuse her and try to just snuggle her instead! It's definitely more about comfort and security now (though she does have more extended, "good" nursing sessions in the morning and at night) than about hunger, but the way I see it, it's a small price to pay to bond with her and make her feel safe. One of these days she'll stop, and I know I'm going to miss it. (Well, the daytime ones I'll miss. The nighttime ones, not so much.)

Call or email if you want to chat about nursing (or anything else for that matter!)--most of my friends quit by 6 months so I'm sort of the lone "weirdo" out here.